Sustainability Tips for a “Greener” Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

So you want to be green? Good choice my friend! But it can definitely be difficult to get things started. One-use culture is so easy and convenient, and the information online is quite bleak and discouraging. Why try anything if it’s so difficult and futile? Call me naive, but I still think that individual change can work, and that at the core our individual change has the ability to inspire others. So without further ado, here are 6 simple ways that you can be more green.

Reusable Mugs & Water Bottles

I know that everybody has heard this one before, but let me tell you why you have: because it’s seriously important. Let’s do some quick math here: say you’re an average post-secondary student, you drink 3 coffees/teas a week from various establishments like Tims and Starbucks. Only accounting for fall and winter term, that’s 102 disposable cups. That’s on the very incorrect assumption that no one drinks coffee out of school. So a travel mug is a great investment. They can be a little pricey upfront for a nice one,  but many places give a small discount for bringing your own mug. Tim Hortons and Starbucks both give 10 cents off each time you bring your own mug, so over the course of two terms you’ll also save some money as well! Starbucks also sells $2 and $3 reusable hot and cold drink cups throughout the year. Let’s be honest, coffee is more than a three times a week treat.

Reusable Straws

Reusable straws aren’t always an option for everybody, but if they do happen to be an option for you, consider metal straws for a more eco-friendly sip. Of course most drinks don’t actually require straws, especially if you’re sipping out of your new reusable mug (hint). If you are looking for some reusable straws, metal straws are a great option. Another great, cheap option is Starbucks. When Starbucks is selling reusable cold cups they come with a reusable straw, which you can also purchase individually for a dollar each if you ask the barista. 

Not so fun fact: 500 million straws are used per day

Carry Your Own Utensils

At this point it basically sounds like I’m recommending that you carry your whole kitchen with you, but I always carry a utensil set with me. As a university student I snack a lot, so bringing my own utensils helps reduce one-use plastic utensils.

Reusable Grocery Bags

Bags, bags, bags galore. Lots of one-use plastic comes in the form of bags. Shopping bags, produce bags, and sandwich bags are easy to replace with reusable cloth bags that are super cute and durable. Cloth bags aren’t just for grocery shopping, keep a couple in your purse, backpack or car in case you decide on some impromptu retail therapy. Again, this can also save money since most grocers charge for plastic bags. Of course don’t go rushing to throw out the bags you have now, that can also be quite wasteful, you can reuse the plastic bags you have lying around until they’re ready to be replaced by their more eco friendly relatives.

Thrift Shopping

Thrift shopping is an easy way to be more green, while saving your own green! Thrift shopping is cost effective, allows you to find cute, one of a kind clothes, and helps you feel good about your purchases. If you like the fabric, but dislike the style, there are plenty of tutorials online on how to revamp thrifted clothes to be stylish and modern. Thrifting furniture is also super fun, the Find store has a lot of great furniture and decor finds. Thrifting can be a great opportunity to be green and up your DIY game.

Change Up Your Diet

This one is definitely the most difficult on the list, but changing your diet is a great way to be more green. Now I’m not saying that you can’t indulge in bacon and chips once in a while, but cutting back on meat and packaged, processed foods, can really help shrink your carbon footprint. If you’re looking to buy package-free snacks you can bring your own containers to Bulk Barn to fill up with goodies. 

Not so fun fact: Animal agriculture is the source of 14.5% of global greenhouse gas emissions, more than all transportation combined.

There are 6 ways you can be more green. It may be a small start, but each little bit makes a difference. By being conscious of our actions we are telling companies and governments that we are invested in a greener future. Each dollar spent is like a vote, so remember to spend on brands you support and believe in. 

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2018/07/news-plastic-drinking-straw-history-ban/

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/dec/04/animal-agriculture-choking-earth-making-sick-climate-food-environmental-impact-james-cameron-suzy-amis-cameron

Helen Ma

U Alberta '21

Helen is in her second year at the University of Alberta. Born and raised in Edmonton you can often find her burrowed under fifteen blankets to avoid the cold. When not stressing out about her classes she's usually reading, binge-watching sit-coms, drinking far too many caffeinated beverages and chilling with her dog.
Robin is a senior student at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta. She is getting a Science Degree, with a Psychology major and a double minor in Sociology & Biology. Part-time jobs, full-time classes, various student groups and volunteering fill most of her time. Robin is the 2020/2021 President of Her Campus at UAlberta and served as the social media director for the 2018/2019 year!