Halloween May Be Over, But I Am Not Over Horror: 5 Horror Movies I Can’t Wait For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.
Bad Hair

A satire horror that takes a bad hair day literally. I must say, I do not expect this movie to win any awards, but I think it may have the makings to become a cult classic with its campy feel and infusion of ‘80s hip-hop! It is also directed by Justin Simien, whose first feature film was Dear White People, which Netflix adapted into a series of the same name! Being a huge fan makes me a little biased.

CandyMan

Directed by Nia DaCosta, who is about to become the first black woman to direct a Marvel film, and produced by Jordan Peele, who I believe is reinventing horror, these two names on the film were enough to make me excited before I even knew the concept. That being said, when I found out that Candyman was a sequel to Candyman 1992, I could not have been more excited. Would you dare to say Candyman 5 times into a mirror if you thought a hook-handed slasher would come for you?

Saint Maud

A24 is my favorite entertainment company. If they are behind a film, I am automatically racing to the theater to see it. This company allows the filmmakers to push the boundaries, and I think Saint Maud will do just that being a religious horror. Believing God is within her, this nurse is not out to save lives but rather souls.

Run

Sarah Paulson is the star of this horror thriller. From the trailer, it seems as though she plays a mother with Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy. This is enough to make me watch the movie. I love true crime, and this love stemmed from the story of Gypsy Blancharde, so anything even somewhat related to that case piques my interest. Sarah Paulson is also the best thing that ever happened to the planet.

Spiral

Featuring a star-studded cast that makes up the newest book of Saw. The Saw franchise never disappoints. Even the lowest quality Saw movies give me so much joy. Chris Rock is also one of the funniest people on the planet, so there is hope for comic relief.

Megan Pratt

U Alberta '21

Megan is in her third year at the University of Alberta. While pursuing a law degree can seem like her entire identity at times, she considers herself a horror film critic, as well as a fitness and food enthusiast.
Robin is a senior student at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta. She is getting a Science Degree, with a Psychology major and a double minor in Sociology & Biology. Part-time jobs, full-time classes, various student groups and volunteering fill most of her time. Robin is the 2020/2021 President of Her Campus at UAlberta and served as the social media director for the 2018/2019 year!