This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

Thanksgiving is a time to show those you love how grateful you are for them, and to show thanks for all of the blessings in your life. On Thanksgiving we need to ensure that we are truly expressing how grateful we are for everything in our lives, not just using the holiday as an excuse to feast on turkey with all of the fixings. It is incredible that we set aside an entire day just for gratitude, however gratitude should be something that you practice everyday. Here are some tips for showing gratitude during Thanksgiving, and everyday!

1. Take time to “say grace” before dinner on Thanksgiving and even before any meal. This does not have to be a religious act, just take a moment to appreciate that you have bountiful food to eat and people to share your meal with- others may not be as lucky as you are.

2. Make a list of everything that you are grateful for. During the Thanksgiving season, sit down and take the time to make a list of everything that you are thankful to have in your life. It could be simple things such as sushi or your favorite fuzzy blanket, or it could be deeper, like being grateful for your partner and/or your family. On a daily or weekly basis, you can practice mindful gratitude by making short lists of things that you are grateful for. I enjoy sitting down for my morning coffee with my notebook to write down the 5-10 things that I am grateful for that showed up in the previous day. This way, if you have a bad day or something doesn’t go your way, you can look back at your list(s) and see all of the amazing things in your life.

3. Write genuine thank you messages or letters. In today’s age we all speak and communicate in shorthand, and many of us are “too busy for niceties.” An easy and heartfelt way to show someone that you appreciate them is to tell them! Write a letter or a longhand email, send them a thank you card, go a little bit out of your way to show the people in your life that they are important.

4. Give compliments and focus on positive things. It is so easy to get stuck in a rut of negativity, but complimenting the people and things around you, and verbally expressing your positive opinions is a way to show that you see and appreciate the people, places, and things in your life. Even if no one is listening, say that you love the way it smells outside after it rains, or that your favorite pen is amazing- the simpler the better. Tell your mom that she looks amazing in her new blouse, or tell that stranger walking by that the colours in his tie really bring out his eyes. No matter how you choose to compliment, practicing and sharing positivity is a giant step in the direction of living a life of gratitude.

5. Be grateful for the good and the bad, they each teach you a lesson. When you find yourself in a situation that is less than pleasurable, think of what you might gain from it instead of the negative aspects. Realize that your bad day is just a bump and that some of the best things in life may come from the most seemingly terrible situations. Be grateful that the inconveniences in your life are manageable and that you are strong and wise enough to work through any obstacles that fall across your path.

Above all else, be sure that the people and animals in your life know just how much you love and care about them. Take nothing for granted because nothing is guaranteed. Take every opportunity you have to tell people that you love them and that you are happy and lucky to have them in your life. Gratitude and positivity go hand in hand, and they are the key to a happier and healthier life.

Robin is a senior student at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta. She is getting a Science Degree, with a Psychology major and a double minor in Sociology & Biology. Part-time jobs, full-time classes, various student groups and volunteering fill most of her time. Robin is the 2020/2021 President of Her Campus at UAlberta and served as the social media director for the 2018/2019 year!
Breanne D

U Alberta '19

Co-founder and proud alumna of Her Campus at UAlberta.