This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

On Saturday, February 8th I attended a local event called Glitter Brunch. On their Instagram (@glitterbrunch), they describe their events as “important conversations in safe spaces.” Saturday’s topic was “Being Raised by Immigrants,” however, in the past, they have had a wide array of topics, November’s being sex and contraception.

The event was held in one of the organizer’s home, and the brunch was homemade by the organizers. Hand-cut fruits, bacon, eggs, hash browns, toast, and freshly baked cookies were served. Glitter Brunch is a free event, though they did have a donation jar on the serving table that you were not obligated to contribute to. During the event, our host would read a statement aloud and each person would hold up a sign stating their level of agreement with that statement. This would prompt conversation within our diverse group about our personal lives. The conversation got emotional. The conversation got heated. The conversation provoked thought in me that I probably would not have come up with on my own.

My favorite part about the event had to be the realization that people from incredibly different backgrounds and upbringings can carry the same emotional baggage. From the heavy responsibility of being your family’s eldest daughter to not speaking your family’s mother tongue, Glitter Brunch validated so many issues that were previously held below the surface.

The relaxed, homey atmosphere really made it feel like we were having brunch at a friend’s house while having deep conversations. Especially when remembering that this event was free, I am amazed and grateful for the delicious food and impactful conversations.

Glitter Brunch gives people the opportunity to sign up for the next brunch every second month. Each brunch has a different topic and they invite people of all genders, sexualities, races and party affiliations as long as the intent behind attendance is meaningful discussion and not to push a hateful agenda. You can find more information on their Instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/glitterbrunch/?hl=hr.

Maia de Borja

U Alberta '21

Maia (my-uh) is in her fourth year at the University of Alberta. She is working towards a Bachelor of Secondary Education with a major in English and minor in ESL. In her spare time you can find Maia studying with a chai latte close by, at the gym, at one of her three part time jobs,volunteering or exploring town with her boyfriend and friends (usually in the pursuit of good food!) You can follow her on Instagram at @maiadeborja
Simi is a senior at the University of Alberta studying Sociology and Religious Studies. She grew up in Houston Texas and lives by the saying “go big or go home”. She is currently Her Campus Ualberta's Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent. School, volunteering, clubs, and work occupy most of her time. You can find her on Instagram at @simi.bhangoo.