This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

Inspired by last week’s cooking exploits (and the spice mix my roommate so generously let me use), I decided to push my culinary limits even further with this week’s recipe. Full of aromatic flavours and easily accessible ingredients, this curry also boasts a decent fridge life; I wouldn’t push it past a week though.

It also happens to be completely diary free and vegan, although It didn’t quite come into fruition in time for Veganuary- but if you’re looking for ways to incorporate more vegan meals into your diet, this recipe could be a great place to start.

if you have trouble finding the curry powder, feel free to substitute with another curry powder of your choice! Serve with rice or naan and enjoy

Ingredients for 6 servings

• Eggplant (2, medium sized)
  • Canola oil (2 tbsp)
  • Black pepper
  • Salt
  • ½ of a small onion, diced finely
  • Sliced mushrooms (450g)
  • Tomato paste (2 tbsp)
  • MDH aubergine spice (2 tsp)
  • Garlic powder (1 tsp)
  • Chilli powder
  • Coconut milk (400ml can)
  • Diced tomatoes (800 ml can)
  • Sugar (1-1 ½ tsp)

Method

1. Chop eggplant into bite-sized pieces, about ¾ inch- sized cubes. Coat lightly with canola oil and season with salt and pepper.
  2. Roast eggplant for 25-30 minutes, at 400⁰F until golden brown
  3. In a deep pan, add 2tbsp canola oil and heat
  4. Add diced onions, tomato paste, mushrooms and cooked eggplant
  5. Add Aubergine spice, chilli powder, salt and garlic powder. Stir and simmer for about 5 minutes, till fragrant
  6. Add diced tomatoes, coconut milk and sugar
  7. Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes, till slightly thickened
  8. Serve with rice or naan

Image courtesy of:

1

Ver-Se Denga

U Alberta '21

Ver-Se is in her 4th year of uni, studying Biology and Psychology and serving as Senior Editor of the UAlberta Chapter. She loves to read and can't imagine a world without Chimamanda Adichie in it.