nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

20 Small Goals for 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

It’s 2020. School and life are back in full swing after the holidays and if you’re anything like me, it’s been difficult to adjust. Waking up early, attending classes, finishing assignments, going to work, maintaining a social life, trying to stay active and healthy… it can get exhausting. So, I always remind myself that small victories are still victories. Here are 20 small victories that are accomplishable within the 12 months that 2020 has in store for us!

Learn how to say “hello” or “thank you” in three (or more!) new languages

Compliment a stranger every day for a week

Meet up with an old friend you haven’t seen in a while

Make a new friend

Go an entire day without checking social media

Try a new food

Retry a food that you haven’t eaten since childhood because you didn’t like it then (you might change your mind!)

Do one thing that makes you feel more involved on campus (events, clubs, etc… Her Campus is always recruiting!)

Draw/paint/create a work of art… even if you think you’re horrible at it

Visit ten new places (could be a city, restaurant, museum, anything new!)

Learn to feel comfortable taking selfies without a filter on it

Get a pedicure (treat yo self)

Watch/read that one series that everyone is obsessed with but you never actually got into out of pure laziness (Harry Potter I’m looking at you)

Finish that book you read the first three chapters of then forgot about

Re-watch a few episodes of your childhood shows and realize how amazing/bad the show really is

Watch something live in person

Buy one article of clothing that you have always wanted to try out but didn’t think you’d pull it off

Hand in an assignment a week early

Write about something you’re passionate about without having to worry about getting graded (and submit it to Her Campus if you want to!)

Take more pictures of moments and people I want to remember

One small step (or 20 small steps, I guess) for you… one giant leap for this new decade!

Maia de Borja

U Alberta '21

Maia (my-uh) is in her fourth year at the University of Alberta. She is working towards a Bachelor of Secondary Education with a major in English and minor in ESL. In her spare time you can find Maia studying with a chai latte close by, at the gym, at one of her three part time jobs,volunteering or exploring town with her boyfriend and friends (usually in the pursuit of good food!) You can follow her on Instagram at @maiadeborja
Simi is a senior at the University of Alberta studying Sociology and Religious Studies. She grew up in Houston Texas and lives by the saying “go big or go home”. She is currently Her Campus Ualberta's Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent. School, volunteering, clubs, and work occupy most of her time. You can find her on Instagram at @simi.bhangoo.