This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

It’s January, the first month in 2019 where everyone is making new goals for themselves and trying to improve. Veganuary happens to be one of those goals where people try to be vegan for the entire month of January. This is a great opportunity for people who are curious about veganism, because it’s not a long commitment and you can get great support from a community. We all know what it is like to be new at something! On the Veganuary site, it can help you with a Vegan Starter kit, recipes and more. Here’s a list of Vegan food spots in Edmonton to help make your Veganuary even easier than you thought.

The Moth Café

The Moth Café has a very cool and chill atmosphere that, in my opinion, encourages creativity and fosters a happy environment. The menu includes smoothie bowls, noodle soups, unique salads, burgers and great cheesecakes like the one in the picture above. Although the menu is quite similar to other places in the city, I would say that the combination of the food and the atmosphere makes it a great place to visit.  There is also a location in West Edmonton Mall that has a lot of good desserts.

Noorish

This is one of the first vegan food spots that I visited when I moved to Edmonton. What’s exciting about this restaurant is not only the menu but the atmosphere as well. The menu is super cool with a lot of raw dishes that incorporates a variety of ingredients. They have exciting vegan cheesecakes (that are usually raw) that can satisfy any sweet tooth. They also have Pastas, Pad Thai, Curry, Soup and a Poutine so you’re bound to find something there that will satisfy you. They even have a yoga studio that you can check out right beside the restaurant. Overall a great place to get interesting and incredibly nutritious meals and enjoy a dark but compelling ambiance.

Remedy Café

This is a classic which I’m pretty sure the majority of people in Edmonton know about. Remedy Café has lots of locations around Edmonton with one even very close to the U of A campus. This is one of my favourite places to go to get vegan cheesecake or my favourite vegan cookies. They also have incredible vegan wraps (Vegan Palak Paneer is my usual order) and vegan hot chocolate. This is one food stop that is a must for new vegans and its quite convenient due to its many locations. The location near U of A is also a frequent study spot for lots of students so you could get some food and have a study session at Remedy because luckily it is open until 12 am.

Café Mosaics

Located on Whyte Ave, this restaurant is great for Vegan and Non-vegans alike. Not everything on their menu is vegan but most of it can easily be made vegan. With meals ranging from breakfast foods like Pancakes to supper foods like Burgers, you can appease your appetite with their delicious menu. Each dish is not your typical burger, taco, soup, or pancake. They all have a certain twist to it that makes it healthy and innovative which is always something that I appreciate. They also have excellent desserts that I will always give in to.  The restaurant itself is very lively and bright, which always makes me feel like I’m having a good time. One downside is that this restaurant is a little bit expensive but it’s definitely worth it to at least try it once.

The Buckingham

When I first got to Edmonton, I was very surprised and delighted to learn that there was a bar that served exclusively vegan food. This food spot is located on Whyte Ave with a menu created by Sailin’ On and it is FANTASTIC. They have the best vegan comfort food that I have ever eaten. Their menu includes buffalo wings, burgers, nachos, corndogs, tacos, fried chicken or even chili cheese fries. You can’t go wrong by visiting the Buckingham for any one of their dishes. The prices are also fairly reasonable so that’s a plus as well.

Die Pie

Located downtown, this is my favourite place to get vegan pizza. They make their own cheese which is honestly the best vegan cheese I have ever eaten. Each pizza is masterfully crafted and very unique as well as delicious. They even have a pierogi pizza and a macaroni and cheese pizza which if that doesn’t convince you to try it out, I don’t know what will. Not only do they have pizza, but they also have appetizers, burgers, pastas, and desserts. I’ve have gone here several times bringing different people each time so that they can experience how great this place is as well. One downside is that it is not cheap so maybe don’t go all out but this is definitely the best place to get pizza if that’s what you’re craving.

La Poutine

A Canadian staple is a poutine and when I became Vegan, this was one dish that I was sad to let go. Fortunately, La Poutine (Located right by the U of A), has lots of great options for vegans. They start with a classic vegan poutine and work their way up to The Taco which is my absolute favourite because it reminds me of a supreme fries from Taco Bell. This is another great place to satisfy those carb cravings and it’s not that expensive either. One time, I had the vegan version of The Taco two times in a span of 3 days, so I hope that is representative of how much I love it.

Good Stock Restaurant

One of my absolute favourite restaurants to go to in Edmonton. The décor is super cool and bright which makes it incredibly inviting. Their menu includes yummy beverages like smoothies or a hibiscus tea and their food ranges from soups and salads to a loaded taco bowl which is SO GOOD! They also have certain vegan snacks like kale chips, roasted chickpeas, and vegan gelato. If you’re looking for a place with food that is familiar, then this is the place for you. Their items aren’t crazy or groundbreaking, but everything that they make looks and tastes great and has led to me bringing all of my family there to try it as well.

KB & Co

With 2 locations in Edmonton, one recently opening in Windemere, KB & Co is expanding and for good reason. This is my favourite place to get smoothies but also hearty salads that are always very filling and delicious. When I’m craving food that is light, healthy and delicious, KB & Co is always my first stop to get a meal. Not only are their meals nutritious and incredibly flavourful, they are also very aesthetic and colourful. Their menu has wraps, smoothies (even protein and superfood smoothies), and salads that are honestly the best salads that I have ever eaten (Chipotle Taco is my favourite). The atmosphere is also very light and welcoming and is just overall a great place to visit. I love this place so much that I have gone here several times and have brought my friends and family to try it out as well. This is at the top of my list of places you need to visit this Veganuary.

Copper Branch

This restaurant opened recently in December 2018, and it has other locations in Calgary and Québec. This one is my absolute favourite on this list because of several factors. Firstly, the location is extremely convenient because it is right by Bay Enterprise Square Station so you can just use transit instead of trying to find parking downtown. Secondly, their décor is great, the copper light fixtures make the space bright and trendy and the space is big with lots of seating, so it doesn’t feel cramped. The most important thing is that their menu is amazing as well. They have burgers, plant bowls, smoothies, lattes, desserts, and other cold drinks that you can buy. Their prices are extremely reasonable and the portions that you get for the price are GREAT. A bonus for students is that you get 10% off if you show them your ID. I had the Aztec Bowl with brown rice, lettuce, and smoked tofu and a Revolution smoothie that reminded me of Pinolillo which is a Nicaraguan drink which is something my family always makes. Overall, this is at the top of my list of places you should try, whether or not you are doing Veganuary this month.  

Ranzell Ortega

U Alberta '20

Ranzell is a 4th year at UAlberta, studying Sociology with a minor in French. You can usually find her cooking or watching a new tv show. If you like food pictures, follow her on instagram @ranzellortega.
Breanne D

U Alberta '19

Co-founder and proud alumna of Her Campus at UAlberta.