band on stage
band on stage
Original photo by Melanie Love Salazar

TOMORROW X TOGETHER Embrace Facing Reality in ‘The Name Chapter: FREEFALL’

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TX State chapter.

TOMORROW X TOGETHER’s 10-track album tells a captivating story of no longer giving into temptation and pursuing the life you desire. Read on for five takeaways from ‘The Name Chapter: FREEFALL’ and insight on the complex emotions that come with facing reality head on.

TOMORROW X TOGETHER has been skyrocketing in popularity the last few years. The South Korean band has seen numerous accomplishments in 2023, such as headlining Lollapalooza, receiving their first No. 1 on the Billboard 200, and making their debut at the 2023 MTV VMAs. TOMORROW X TOGETHER has continued to impress fans with their newest album release, The Name Chapter: FREEFALL. The album highlights the highs and lows that come with growing up, moving on, and navigating complex emotions. 

The Name Chapter: FREEFALL features 10 tracks that range in style with some songs in the genre of indie rock, melodic R&B, and upbeat tracks. The album also includes a sweet dedication to ‘MOA’, the group’s fanbase, and a song produced by one of the members, Beomgyu

Here are 5 takeaways from TOMORROW X TOGETHER’s new album, The Name Chapter: FREEFALL.

There is A Push and Pull That Comes With Chasing The Life You Dream Of

Chasing That Feeling

Bearing references to the mystical, sweet mirage TOMORROW X TOGETHER’s experiences in their previous album, The Name Chapter: TEMPTATION, “Chasing That Feeling” talks about leaving it all in exchange for something greater. Faced with conflicting emotions about staying in paradise even if it is a facade and knowing leaving will cause them pain, they still choose to run towards their fate. 

Lyrics like “Time spent astray, I was lost like a child/I finally saw the truth, yeah, and I feel so alive/Growing pains all over my body, feels like I’m on fire/Though it hurts a little, burn and fall like a shooting star,” detail the difficult feelings that can come with making the right decision for yourself. 

Growing Pains Are A Part Of The Process

Growing Pain

Even when you decide to fully pursue the life you desire, and some would argue-especially when, there is still a pain that comes with everything you leave behind in doing so. “Growing Pain” describes just how scary the shift from being directionless, to sure of your path can be with lyrics like “Been free falling/Into the sky/Under the cliff, at the edge of paradise/Don’t know how to fly, but I’m gonna try to let go.”

After the release, Huening Kai said of the song, “‘Growing Pain’, which is the first track of our album, is really about how you feel pain when you try to grow. So I think it really encompasses the feelings that you face when you first face reality. So I think a lot of the young people and the listeners will be able to resonate with this song.” 

TOMORROW X TOGETHER Is Grateful To Have ‘MOA’ By Their Side

Blue Spring

TOMORROW X TOGETHER debuted in March 2019 and since then, have grown to accumulate a fanbase from all over the world. They have never shied away from showing how appreciative they are for the support they receive and with “Blue Spring,” the group goes more in depth on how they have been impacted by ‘MOA’.

Written by the members, lyrics describe the transition from the difficulty of their trainee days, to the bright days that followed due to receiving support from ‘MOA’: “No one knows about that winter/The endless worries and shaking heartbeat/Feeling blue through those frigid blue days/I remember how you embraced me with your warmth.”

Before the release of “Blue Spring”, Soobin said of the relationship with ‘MOA’, “I think there’s a certain kind of love that can only exist between a singer and their fans—one that doesn’t happen between friends or people dating. They exist for each other and want each other to be happy and hope for better things for the other than for themselves.”

When TOMORROW X TOGETHER debuted, most of their members were still in their late teen years or early twenties. Nearly four and a half years later, the group has finished two world tours and have spent much of their youth sharing both the hard and celebratory moments of life with their fans. Lyrics like “All my youth/Is filled with your warmth/In the warmth of your soft sighs/My once so chilly world/It blooms into spring at last,” describe the group’s thankfulness for the time spent with them and how they are the group’s silver lining. 

Be Hopeful For The Future

Skipping Stones

Much of The Name Chapter: FREEFALL discusses the challenge and uncertainty one faces in leaving the comfort of a reality that is too good to be true. “Skipping Stones” contains a hopeful message that although the experience is painful, days of happiness and ease are still sure to come. 

With lyrics like “We are in a calm river/I love throwing stones/I know it’s going to be a painful time/Still, I hold another stone,” there is an implication of ‘throwing stones’ meaning getting hurt by various words or circumstances. 

Although life feels hectic and they are filled with worry, the lyrics continue by describing a belief that one day, life will be easier: “The water that swallowed up our wounds will someday calm down (calm down)/Because you will have a wide embrace/Throw away the lingering regrets that have formed at your fingertips/As always, as always.” There is an emphasis on letting go of the regrets you have from your past in order to reach the other side of your difficult time. It adds that you may have to do this over and over again. 

Towards the end of the song, lyrics paint a heartfelt moment in which their future self meets their past self with a warm embrace, grateful that they have pulled through their difficult time: “Today’s overwhelming you/So, that tomorrow’s me can embrace/When we reach the sparkling waves/I will hold your trembling hands.” “Skipping Stones” discusses both the recognition of a hard journey and the ability they have to face it. 

It Is Never Too Late To Find Yourself Again

Dreamer 

Much of The Name Chapter: Freefall describes the multifaceted experience of confronting reality and chasing your dreams. As Taehyun commented before the album’s release “This album is about facing reality and showing a determination to grow, which, of course, comes with some pain — growing pains…”“Dreamer” describes the moment of discovering your true self once again after a period of feeling lost and no longer settling for a life you know is not for you.

Lyrics like “Walking through the maze all day, can’t expect any comfort/A pity, my steps have no more length, swaying/Beyond Neverland, the dreams I loved are difficult,” can be compared to lyrics in “Farewell Neverland” from The Name Chapter: TEMPTATION. 

“Farewell Neverland” depicts a decision to leave the place they thought was paradise but really is a facade: “Everything that was beautiful/I know it’s not true/Trying to spit out that cruel lie/To the paradise of irresponsible dreams/I’ll say my last goodbye.” There is no longer a desire to remain in a state of fake bliss.

On the other hand, “Dreamer” describes a hopeful resolution to a long journey: “The end of a long and wandering path/Dreams of a long future/My name/Now I’ve found it/The star that waited for me far away/Perhaps I’m an unavoidable dreamer.” Being an “unavoidable dreamer” could imply they were always destined to find themself again, even if they could not see it initially. It makes the point that they have always had the strength to take the difficult path that leads them to their dreams.

The Name Chapter: Freefall tells a captivating, brave story about facing reality and serves as a reminder that even if you get lost, or have to do it with trembling hands, you can always find your way back to your true self. 

Melanie Love Salazar is Journalism student at Texas State University. She has written for the student-led radio station at Texas State and has experience writing across various media platforms. One of her biggest passions are for live music, and other hobbies of her's include going to drive-in movie theatres, reading, and drinking coffee!