Her Campus Logo Her Campus Logo

Eat This, Not That: Healthy Alternatives to Your Favorite Foods

With summer fast approaching, we’re all thinking about bettering our bodies and rocking that new swimsuit out on the beach. The first step in a healthier lifestyle is eating healthy. This doesn’t mean throwing away Friday pizza night or saying goodbye to your favorite burger, though! It simply means replacing some foods with a healthier version. Here are some recipes to get you started!


We all love pizza! It’s by far one of the hardest things to kick out of your diet, so instead try a healthy homemade pizza.  There are a million recipes around the internet, so get creative. Always opt for turkey pepperoni instead of regular or try chicken, fat-free or low-fat cheese and lots of veggies!

        What You’ll Need:

  • 1 Pre-made, whole wheat pizza crust (or you can try making your own whole-wheat dough!)
  • 1 package fat-free mozzarella cheese
  • Italian seasoning
  • 1 package of turkey pepperoni (turkey is low fat and less greasy)
  • Onion
  • Green bell pepper
  • Sliced tomato
  • Parmesan cheese
  • Marinara sauce

Assemble these in order: crust, sauce, cheese and toppings. Bake on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. At the end, sprinkle some Italian seasoning and more parmesan for a little extra flavor, and voila! Switch the toppings to anything you want and enjoy any day of the week!



Nothing says summertime like a burget fresh off the grill. Burgers are everywhere, and when we see one, we often can’t resist. Luckily, there’s a healthy way to eat this meal as well.

       What You’ll Need:

  • 99% lean ground turkey (you can but patties pre-made!)
  • Whole Wheat Buns
  • Toppings of your choice: lettuce, tomato, onion, low-fat cheese etc. (I’ve even put hummus on top of my burger, and loved it!)

No grill? No problem. Burgers can be made in a skillet on the stove top, making it extra easy, so no excuses! You can even get creative and mix jalapeños (or whatever you want) into the meat before cooking it. Beef burgers are usually made with 70% lean (or less) beef, meaning the remaining 30% is fat. This burger with cheese and a white bread bun isn’t the healthiest choice, so replace it with something a little leaner and a little meaner!



Sometimes your weekend just isn’t the same without that plate full of pancakes in the morning. Switch it up and try these low carb, protein pancakes.


         What You’ll Need:

  • 1/3 cup oat flour
  • 2 tbs Vanilla Protein Powder
  • 1 large banana
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tbs almond milk

Mix the dry ingredients first, then combine with the wet ingredients. Pour batter on a non-stick preheated pan over low heat. This makes 5 pancakes. You can top it with your favorite fruit and sugar free syrup to make it extra healthy!



A healthy taco will be made with chicken instead of beef. You can grill the chicken breast beforehand or you can simmer it in a pan, it’s your choice! The right seasoning really makes a difference with chicken tacos. You can buy pre-mixed taco seasoning or you can try your own mix of things and see how it turns out!

      What You’ll Need:

  • Chicken breast
  • 1 Package McCormick’s Chicken Taco Seasoning
  • Whole wheat tortillas
  • Cubed tomato and/or sautéed bell pepper and onion
  • Healthy toppings of your choice!

Put chicken breast in a pan in ¼ inch of water. Let chicken simmer until cooked, shred chicken. Drain any remaining water, add seasoning. You can also mix in low fat sour cream or salsa with the shredded chicken. Add toppings and you’ve got yourself a healthy taco!


Similar Reads👯‍♀️