‘Don’t Tell Larry’ Gives Us A Refreshing Take on The Workplace Comedy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TX State chapter.

When we think about the early 2000s, our minds may linger towards the workplace comedies sub genre in film and TV. With shows like Psych, The Office or even workplace films such as Office Space or Employee of the Month, the 2000s took excessive pride in following office employees throughout their shenanigans. Throughout the 2010s, the genre seemed to disappear through new forms of media, and we haven’t had projects that focus on the workplace lifestyle we adored in the 2000s. 

However, after watching Don’t Tell Larry at the 30th Austin Film Festival, I realized that not only does workplace comedy have a chance of redemption; it has the opportunity to be more diverse and inclusive than ever. 

Set at a corporate office, Don’t Tell Larry follows Susan (played by Patty Guggenheim) as she tries to better herself in her workplace life. Because she wants to be CEO, she comes up with a lie to her newest co-worker (played by Kiel Kennedy) that ultimately unravels into disaster. Even in the midst of chaos, we as the audience find ourselves relating to Susan and what she wants to achieve. 

“I think what’s really gratifying is how many people want to relate to Susan, even if she makes some decisions that someone may or may not agree with. She gets screwed over, she’s clearly the right person for a job and opportunity, and she’s ambitious and driven. That’s something that everyone can relate to,” says writer/director Greg Porper.

“When there’s something you want, a lot of the time you’re willing to do whatever it takes,” says Porper.

In a world that is dominated by masculine characters in workplace comedy, it’s refreshing to see a woman be unapologetically open and not afraid to do whatever she wants to get the position she desires. 

“There’s a nice relatability to her character and during her test screenings, people did seem to resonate with her,” says Porper.

Even throughout Susan’s persistence, the audience seems to root for her character in Don’t Tell Larry. And as for me, I can’t help but root for everyone who worked on Don’t Tell Larry, which is guaranteed to be a new workplace comedy favorite for this generation. 

Don’t Tell Larry played at the 30th Austin Film Festival. This article was written for Austin Film Festival. 

Leia Mendoza

TX State '24

Leia Mendoza is a national entertainment & culture correspondent and writer at Her Campus, where she writes and talks about the latest entertainment news and pop culture updates. As well as updating timely news, she covers a broad aspect of film, television and music for Her Campus Media. She is also a contributor to Offscreen Central, where she covers award shows and future Oscar contenders. In 2024, she created Director Brat, a website centered around film and television reviews and exclusive industry interviews for the next generation of creatives. In addition, she is a Film Production and Fashion Merchandising student at Texas State University. In the past, she has covered events conducted by Texas State University, Austin Film Festival's On Story, & SXSW. She has conducted interviews for Paramount, MGM, and A24. You can find her in her spare time talking about bridging the worlds of film and fashion together, cinema preservation, indie darlings, and fabulous shopping sequences.