Collage of Kadence MaKenna
Collage of Kadence MaKenna
Photo by Kadence MaKenna
Life > Experiences

City Sparks and Hometown Hustles: Channeling New York City Energy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TX State chapter.

New York City is an environment full of passion, energy, drive and innovation. I got the opportunity to visit New York with the Study in America program at Texas State University. The trip was an incredible way to kick off my last semester in college and I brought back loads of inspiration from the city. 

As a journalism student, I am constantly looking for the best ways to market myself and improve upon my skills. I am curious about the world around me, passionate about storytelling and take pride in constantly learning from my environment. That being said, New York City was a gold mine full of opportunity.

In the city that never sleeps, many people are working to better themselves and improve on their current skill set– a quality that I was immediately drawn to. A typical 9 to 5 workday is not as prevalent in New York compared to other cities. Instead, work weeks average around 45-hours in the advertising and media industries, according to the New York City Comptroller. 

Seeing the incredible hustle of the city, I was extremely motivated to find a similar pace. I aspire to always be working toward my next goal and to focus on developing my personal skill set.

I’m extremely thankful for our meetings with the Texas State alumni throughout our trip. Each meeting introduced a new perspective and helped pass down valuable insights to our group. Our conversations helped me to better understand the dedication it takes to start living in New York.

In our first meeting with Director Lemondria Hobbs from Praytell, she touched on post-graduation internships, networking, overcommunication and time management skills.

“New York is intense,” said Hobbs.

Our meeting with Hobbs served as a great reminder to how beneficial it can be to reach out for informational interviews with companies you want to work for. This shows that you are dedicated, eager to learn and committed to working for the company. Hobbs emphasized that we must develop our communication skills because it impacts every aspect of our lives. 

During our meeting with News Editor Chris Eudaily from CNBC, he spoke about building a solid resume, interviewing and applying for jobs.

“Apply everywhere because, you never know, there’s always a chance,” said Eudaily.

The meeting with Eudaily served as a reminder that there isn’t pressure to immediately start working in a higher market and it’s perfectly okay to take smaller steps to reach your end goal. Every position you work in the industry will teach you a new lesson and form you into a stronger employee. As a journalism major, I am constantly putting pressure on myself to start working in a top media market. I plan to take Eudaily’s advice into my life post-graduation, as I continue to trust in the process and understand “what’s meant to be– will be.”

We met with representatives from Ketchum including Claudia Marvin, Jeffrey Moran, Sarah Devaney, Devon Bottomley and Franny Campbell. They emphasized the importance of storytelling, placing your audience at the focal point of each campaign and the importance of writing in their industry.

“If you can write, we can teach you anything,” said Devaney.

Listening to their team share their personal self-care routines was extremely helpful and a great reminder to always prioritize your wellbeing. They shared their top tips for creating an enjoyable work-life balance, as listed below.

1. Work hard
  2. Lean into your strengths
  3. Listen to your gut
  4. Have fun

At the World Trade Center, we had a meeting with Ad Ops Manager Allie Horton from Condé Nast. Horton spoke about making the most out of every job to add skills to your resume. She spoke about how every job can offer an array of skills that can frequently be overlooked.

“Find transferable skills from your previous work experience,” said Horton. 

My main takeaway from the meeting was the importance of marketing yourself and taking advantage of every opportunity to contribute to your portfolio. I will focus on the skills gained through the experience rather than my job title in my future career.

Since returning from the New York City trip, I’ve felt incredibly inspired and motivated to become the best version of myself- both professionally and personally. I am constantly working on creating opportunities for myself both inside and outside of my university. 

Now that I am back in Texas, I have created my own social media series called, “Navigating the Newsroom.” In my series, I highlight the careers of experienced journalists and explain common newsroom slang to my audience. With new episodes every week, I am proud to host a series for college students to gain more insight into the world of journalism.

I plan to take the hustle, dedication and creative mindset from New York City into my personal life. I want to stay curious, hardworking, motivated and goal-oriented in my classroom and work life after graduation. I am forever grateful for the opportunity to visit New York and I cannot wait to return. 

Dear New York City,

Do you ever get tired–

Being the city that doesn’t sleep?

Does the hustle and bustle, 

Overwhelm you too–

Do you weep?

A sea of expressions,

Millions of people flood the street–

Are there too many dreams to keep?

Forever Yours,

The New York Dreamer

Collage of Kadence MaKenna
Photo by Kadence MaKenna
Kadence MaKenna is a student at Texas State University pursuing a BS in Journalism with a minor in Writing. When she's not working on her degree, she spends her time watching films, hiking and spending time with loved ones. Follow Kadence on social media! @kadence.makenna on Instagram, @kadencemakenna_ on Twitter and Pinterest!