The Queen's Gambit series poster
The Queen's Gambit series poster
Netflix

7 Short Series to Marathon on Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TX State chapter.

Thanksgiving 2023 is close and here are some suggestions for what to watch on the holiday!

With the autumn weather, one of the best things to do on holiday is to stay at home under the covers. For the four day break, short series or films are the best options to watch while you are at home. You also can gather the whole family to watch the seven following suggestions. All of them are short series with only one or two seasons!

The Haunting of Hill House:

This 2018 Netflix series was created by Mike Flanagan and is in the horror and suspense genre. It tells the story of the Crain family and all the traumatic experiences at the Hill residence, especially during their childhood.

The series is divided into two periods: their time living at the Hill residence and the Crain siblings dealing with the psychological and supernatural effects experienced during summer (the present). The interesting part of the series is that you end up discovering that it is not just spirits and supernatural entities that still haunt the family, but  the emotional scars of all the characters.

The series was well-acclaimed when released for its storytelling, character and story development, and being a great thriller. With only 10 episodes in 1 season, you can finish it quickly!

3%:

3% is a 2016 Netflix series created by Pedro Aguilera that has four seasons, but the first season is enough to understand the whole story. It is a Brazilian series that criticizes poverty and social inequality.

The series shows a world divided into two, where there is a “poor world” and a “rich world.” People who are from a lower class receive the opportunity to change their lives through the “process.” The “process” is nothing more than a series of challenges that make you prove that you are worthy to live in a privileged and rich world. The challenges are physical, psychological and mental, and only 3% of participants win. The series shows a social critique of our current society and the hypocrisy of the way we currently live.

Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Story:

Queen Charlotte is a Netflix series directed by the magnificent Shonda Rhimes. Although it is related to the Bridgerton universe, it is not necessary to watch the other series to understand it. In fact, in the Bridgerton timeline, this series marks the beginning of everything.

The series tells the story of Charlotte, the queen. It addresses the racial and social issues of the time, given that within the series’ universe, Charlotte is the first black queen to assume the throne. Additionally, the series charmingly shows the meaning of love and companionship. Queen Charlotte has an arranged marriage with King George and the two find ways to live together while also dealing with the king’s secret. This secret heavily affected society at the time and their relationship.

This is the type of series that makes you believe in the power of love and how it can overcome difficulties and situations that require trust and companionship.

Self Made:

Self Made is a Netflix series directed by Kasi Lemmons and was released in 2020. It  tells the biography of Madam C.J. Walker, who is played by the iconic Octavia Spencer. For those who don’t know her, Madam C.J. Walker is one of the first women to become a millionaire during the early 20th century in the United States. 

In addition to having to deal with social issues as a woman, she also faced racism and poverty throughout her career.

In the series, Walker creates one of the largest cosmetics and beauty companies focusing on black consumers to manage their hair and skin with a purpose to make black women’s lives’ better . The series shows her contribution to the American business world and society, in addition to her exciting life story. The series has only four episodes and is well worth watching!

Modern Love:

Modern Love is an Amazon Prime Video series directed by John Carney and inspired by the New York Times column whose purpose is to share love stories in the “city that never sleeps.” Based on real life events, it shows the loving, human and emotional relationships of the modern world that involve family and friendship relationships. There are two seasons with an average of eight episodes each. Each episode tells a different story with different actors. Some of the actors who have already participated in the series are Anne Hathaway, Dev Patel and Kit Harington.

The Queen’s Gambit:

The Queen’s Gambit is a Netflix series directed by Scott Frank starring Anna Taylor-Joy, who plays the character Beth Harmon. The series takes place during the 1950s and shows her prodigious talent for chess as she is growing up inan orphanage.

The series addresses issues, such as sexism, because at the time, chess was a male dominated sport, In addition, the emotional issues and constant challenges against opponents also alludes to her personal life. The series was well-acclaimed for Anna Taylor-Joy’s performance and the series’ storytelling  focuses on her personal growth and motivations. 

Chernobyl:

Chernobyl is a Max series directed by Johan Renck and based on real events of the catastrophic event that occurred in 1986 in Chernobyl, Ukraine. Until today, the government has not disclosed exactly how many people died in the extremely radioactive nuclear accident. The series used chemical and historical data regarding what happened in 1986. The series makes you reflect on how much ego and denial of facts can lead people to commit fatal accidents.

Julia Rabelo

TX State '26

Julia Rabelo is a Brazilian who currently lives in the United States. She is a Journalism student at Texas State University and has always been passionate about writing. Her passion for pop culture began at the age of 8 after going to the cinema for the first time to watch "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse". Since then, her passions have been cinema - especially for romcoms films - books, music and soccer!