Why Taylor Swift’s New Song “ME!” Is Important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

On April 26, Taylor Swift dropped “ME!,” the lead single from her upcoming album! After less than two years since her previous album reputation, fans have been eagerly awaiting new music. “ME!” is a feel-good bop about loving yourself for who you are, and is objectively the most important work of our time. Here’s why:

1. The main message is to embrace your individuality.

“ME!” is about living your life on your own terms, and getting to know your partner on a personal level. Swift coons that she’s “like a rainbow with all of the colors,” because she is proud of her for her. She reminds her lover, “you’re the only one of you. Baby, that’s the fun of you!”

2. Brendon Urie of Panic! At the Disco might be the feature of my dreams.

While a historically alternative artist might seem like an unlikely pick for such an upbeat pop song, his distinct voice blends well with Taylor’s smooth vocals. Urie and Swift have both revealed that one reason why they work so well together is because they are both extremely dedicated to their work.

3. The music video is PERFECT.

Picking a favorite scene of this video is impossible, because they are all my favorite. Besides the fact that the costumes, sets, and editing are gorgeous, Swift has revealed that she hid a few easter eggs in the video for fans to catch. They include clues about her upcoming album and future singles. She even dropped the ball that the title of the album is hidden somewhere in the video! Fans’ most popular guesses are “Home,” “Lover,” “Kaleidoscope,” and “Metamorphosis.” Not to mention, the video shattered the 24-hour Vevo record with hours to spare!

4. Is this the first glance at a revival era?

The reputation Era was iconic in its own way, but the TS7 Era seems to be a complete departure from the dark colors and snake motifs of the past. “ME!” gives fans a first glance into what the album vibes might be like, and I’m sensing a lot of pastel colors, butterflies, and happiness.

5. ME! promo is the most content fans have gotten in years.

This song has only been out for a few days, but Swift has been much more public since the start of the era. During the reputation Era, she never did any interviews, and barely did any public appearances until tour. “ME!” is already bringing performances, appearances, interviews, and tons of social media interactions!

Hi, I'm Taylor, and I'm a freshman at Tulane! I'm from Long Island, NY and I love fashion, food, and music.
Her Campus Tulane