Girl Eating Banana Fruit Hoop Earrings Sex
Molly Longest / Her Campus
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

“Sex Education.” The Show You Wish Was Your High School Sex Ed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

The current political climate and polarization have not only suppressed sex education taught in schools but it has forced us as a society to go back to the notion that not talking about sex and everything surrounding it will make issues, such as teen pregnancy and “vulgar/sexual dressing” habits and more, to simply fade away. In the midst of all this controversy surrounding the topic of the youth of America getting a sexual education, Netflix took a step in the progressive direction by releasing a forward-minded and sexually freeing show entitled “Sex Education.” Not only does this show focus on how sex socially and physically affects teenagers but it also shows us that an environment where no one’s sexuality or desires are judged can result in a more inclusive community. Additionally, we are given a glimpse into the side of society where teenagers are empowered to gain sexual freedom and how they can get to that point when adults around them are open to talking about sexual topics. As a society, we have to understand that yes, some topics will always be hard to discuss but we have the obligation to, so that younger generations can live happier and healthier lives.  

In “Sex Education” multiple relationships dynamics are displayed on-screen such as friendships, romantic relationships, and familial relationships which intertwine every character on the show to one another. Throughout the show we see these different relationships change and evolve while additionally seeing the growth of individual characters sexually, emotionally, and mentally. The main protagonist in the show is Otis Milburn, an awkward 16-year-old boy who is low on the popularity food chain but gifted with the same sex therapy skills his mother and father both possess due to their jobs as sex therapists. And with one random situation, where he gives a boy at his school advice on a sexual matter, which gets witnessed by another classmate, Maeve Wiley, an in-school operation of a sex therapy clinic is born. Through Otis, and later on in the seasons his mother, Jean Milburn, Moordale Academy and the viewers of the show are given a lesson on all things involving sex in a radical free-thinking way. Likewise, by having a sex therapist/parent, Jean Milburn, be a main character important questions we would consider sexually awkward, gross, or unspeakable are answered in a very clear format. Whether this be topics pertaining to gay sex, pleasure for any party involved in sexual activities, STIs and STDs, protection/birth control, leaked nudes, sexuality, gender identity, and more. In all three seasons, due to Dr. Jean Milburn, we are given an in-depth education about women’s genital anatomy, self-love, and sexual pleasure. Which are normally considered taboo topics in any setting even in non-traditional sex education programs. This illustrates how much information all sexual programs in America lack and gives us a step-by-step tutorial on how to improve those same curriculums.  

As teenagers, we are constantly trying to figure out who we are and a huge part of that identity consists of our sexuality. With this show, we are given the blunt answers we need to very huge questions and smaller ones answered. Because of this show, I was able to understand more parts of myself and get answers to questions pertaining to my sexuality. This surprised me considering I was raised in San Francisco, a predominantly un-orthodox city, where my sex education was thorough and taught constantly. This just goes to show we can all learn something new about ourselves in any way, even from a Netflix show about sex and high schoolers. 

Chloe Fowler

Tulane '25

Chloe is a Junior at Tulane University who is double majoring in Neuroscience and Gender & Sexuality. When she isn't writing for Her Campus she loves spending time with her friends, volunteering with local organizations, exploring NOLA, sewing/upcycling, and playing volleyball.