Vegan at Tulane: A Guide to On-Campus Dining Options

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

If you have any dietary restrictions whatsoever, I’m sure you understand the all-too-familiar struggle of trying to find a balanced meal on a college campus. While Tulane is certainly better than other places, it still has room to grow in terms of food options. As a self-proclaimed part time vegan with chronic stomach issues, I’m here to tell you that I’ve been there. So read on for a comprehensive guide to what us dietary restricted icons can eat.

The Commons

Oh, The Commons. This first option is a gamble even for those of us who aren’t vegan. Depending on the day, the food can be excellent or absolutely inedible. The same goes for their vegan options. Their sides of fruit cups and grain bowls are a consistent snack, and sometimes their main courses can come through. I would definitely recommend checking the Tulane dining website beforehand to see if they have something for you (https://diningservices.tulane.edu/dining-near-me/The_Commons).

The LBC

The LBC is definitely a step ahead of the Commons in terms of options (whether they’re good options is up to you). I personally get the lemongrass tofu from Star Ginger as a pretty good protein option. Wall of Greens is excellent for steering clear of meat and dairy, but if you’re a salad hater like me, grabbing some rice and beans at Al Fuego is also a safe bet. AFC Sushi usually has some veggie rolls out as well, so as a vegan the LBC definitely has something for almost everyone.

Le Gourmet

Le Gourmet is for sure one of the best options on campus for tasty vegan food. Grabbing a smoothie always makes me feel like I have my life together, and if you get the peanut butter toast without honey, it makes a great, protein-rich vegan option.

Bowful

This hidden gem next to the architecture building on the A quad is a little bit of a hike, but it offers a menu of entirely vegetarian and vegan plant-based bowls. Once A-quad classes are less of a rarity, these make for a great lunch.

Snacks

As far as snacking goes, PJ’s has an excellent selection of alternative milks (oat milk gang forever) and their hummus and pretzel packs are a great choice as well. In addition, Provisions usually has a decent selection of fresh fruit and a few vegan granola bar options. If all else fails though, just grab some Oreos from a vending machine–they are fantastically vegan.

Anna Shvets via Pexels

Greta Baylor

Tulane '23

Hey there! I'm Greta and I'm a sophomore from DC. I love animals, literature, scary movies, and complaining.
Her Campus Tulane