Screen Shot 2019 08 23 at 45200 PMpng?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Screen Shot 2019 08 23 at 45200 PMpng?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
ABC | Grey\'s Anatomy

TV Shows That Fell Apart at the End

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

The 2000s TV era consisted of numerous shows spanning multiple seasons, often reaching five or eight seasons. A few of my favorite shows seemed to fall apart in later seasons, but I would still consider them great. Sometimes I just need to pretend that the later seasons never happened.

Warning: I’ll be mentioning plot points from the show’s later seasons, so beware of potential spoilers.

Alexis Bledel and Lauren Graham in gilmore girls
Saeed Adyani/Netflix
Grey’s Anatomy

The famous medical drama initially followed a group of young doctors interning at Seattle Grace Hospital. Originally released in 2005, the show established a core set of approximately fifteen characters while the show illustrated their lives as medical professionals. New characters, new plot lines, and new medical crises get added with every season.

I was a major fan of the show until one of the main characters, Alex Karev, departed from the show in season sixteen. From then on, the storylines seemed increasingly nonsensical to me, and characters started to behave unlike they had in previous seasons. I totally understand the value of character development, even if they are regressing, yet something about the later seasons feels off.

The 100

As a science fiction drama in post-apocalyptic America, the show followed the one hundred teenage survivors from a space habitat when they returned to Earth almost 100 years after a nuclear apocalypse. The teenagers — all juvenile delinquents according to the powers that be — forged their own community on Earth while developing their own leadership system. The show is full of fascinating characters with interesting dynamics, especially as the teenagers begin interacting with other inhabitants of Earth. The show’s world-building and character depth remained phenomenal throughout the entire series.

As a CW show, which I find either hit or miss, I felt the show fell apart towards the end. Throughout its seven-season run totaling one hundred episodes, various characters and groups were introduced, which helped form a cohesive story world within the show. The plots also grew continually more interesting. Yet, I found that the seventh season betrayed the core components of the show, and the characters moved in the wrong direction. Especially as a Bellarke fan — the ship name for Bellamy and Clarke — I need help to wrap my head around how the show’s ending makes sense within the context of the prior six seasons.

Dance Moms

Lifetime Network’s reality show documented the dance training and subsequent careers of Abby Lee Miller’s dance students. However, the show highlighted the turbulent dynamics of the dancers’ mothers and their turbulent relationship with Abby Lee Miller. Week to week, the team rehearsed and traveled to a dance competition every weekend, which led to plenty of opportunities for chaos, arguments, and a dance catastrophe or two.

Growing up as a dancer, I watched Dance Moms somewhat religiously every week after it first aired in the summer of 2011. I found only some aspects of the show realistic, yet the similarities and the drama hooked me from day one. The original cast of six girls remained relatively consistent throughout the first six seasons, with new dancers and moms added every season. The show’s energy shifted upon the studio’s transition from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to Los Angeles, California. I felt a significant change in the show’s initial vibe after Abby Lee Miller’s legal issues came to light and season eight’s entirely new cast appeared. The show I fell in love with in middle school was gone, and the last season seemed disjointed from those that came before it.

Pretty Little Liars

One of my all-time favorites is this show that followed five best friends in high school after the “ring leader” of their friend group, Allison, disappeared. One year after Allison’s death, a mysterious “A” character sends them threatening text messages and ominous warning signs about revealing their darkest secrets. Seasons 1 to 6A depicts the Liars’, also known as their friend group, journey battling “A” in high school, while seasons 6B and 7 follow the group after a five-year time jump into adulthood. The show’s developer I. Marlene King centered the show around chaotic plot twists, interesting relationship choices, and the ominous “A” figures that led to numerous fan theories.

I tuned in almost every Tuesday to gain any clue about discovering the identity behind “A.” Although the show had other exciting components, I kept watching because I needed answers, and Marlene King was good at withholding them. Whenever the identity of “A” seemed to be revealed, some creative loophole would lead to more questions. I cannot say that I didn’t enjoy all of the suspense and intrigue. However, the series ending felt extremely underwhelming. The “A” reveal centered around a character that no one knew existed throughout the seven seasons. After waiting almost six years for the answer, the one we got felt worthless. I honestly believe that some of the fan “A” theories made more sense in the end.

*If you’re interested in learning more about the show or just reliving all of its insane moments, a Youtuber, Mike’s Mic, has a three-part series on the show that is incredible!!

Gilmore Girls

Beginning in 2000, this comedy-drama series told the stories of Rory Gilmore, Lorelai Gilmore, and Emily Gilmore. The witty banter, family drama, and the interesting dynamic of a small town make this show special. The mother-daughter duo of Lorelai and Rory aim to pursue satisfaction in their romantic relationships and careers throughout the show.

I firmly believe that Rory’s character fell apart after she stole a boat with her boyfriend, Logan, in season five. From that point on, some of the critical plot moments seemed out of place. For example, based on the earlier seasons, it looks entirely off that Lorelai and Chris would get married without Rory in attendance. These inconsistencies continued into the CW’s seventh season and the A Year in the Life special. The Rory character from the early seasons, in her Chilton and early Yale days, appeared nonexistent in the revival. Ultimately, the revival left way too many central plot points up to the audiences’ interpretation, leading to a rather unsatisfying ending.

Gilmore Girls remains one of my comfort shows, but I tend to only rewatch seasons one through four.

Hi! My name is Morgan McBride, and I'm a senior at Tulane from New York. I am majoring in communications with minors in management and political science. I am so excited to be writing for Her Campus!