Superbowl Snacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Super Bowl Sunday is a guy’s Valentine’s day, a chance to express their undying love… of football.

But hey – this is the 21st century, and I know I speak for a good number of girls in saying that we like football, too. So, in the spirit of the day, I thought I could combine two of my favorite past times. Food and football. Here are some awesome ideas to make any Football adrenaline fest just a little yummier than canned bean dip and Doritos.

For the less-than-cooking savvy, we’ll start with some easy ideas. We live in New Orleans, right?

So why not incorporate some easy New Orleans-style foods. Every bakery, grocery store, and coffee shop is selling King Cakes right now, and everyone loves King Cake. Pick one up for your party! A lot of people also don’t realize that they can come filled with a variety of flavors – Cream cheese, strawberry cream cheese, apple jelly, cherry jelly, original cinnamon for the nostalgic and many, many more. (This means that even if someone else brings one, it’ll probably be different.)

Another easy way to feed a crowd is with a little help from an old friend named Zatarain’s.

They sell boxes of dirty rice, etouffee, gumbo, jambalaya, and red beans and rice. Buy a few boxes of these, add your meat, and throw it on the stove. It’s that easy.  And now on to the main event…

Eight Layer Fiesta Dip
This one is super easy, takes less than 30 minutes to make, and tastes/looks awesome when it’s done!
Ingredients:
1 package (1.25 oz size) taco seasoning mix?
1 pound ground beef?
3/4 cup water?
1 can (16 oz. size) refried beans?

1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese?
1 can (2.25 oz. size) sliced ripe olives, drained?
1 medium tomato, chopped?
3/4 cup salsa?
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions?
1/2 cup sour cream?
1 large avocado, mashed?
Directions:
In medium skillet, prepare taco mix with ground beef and water according to package directions. Add refried beans and heat 5 minutes. ??In 1-quart bowl (glass makes a nice presentation!), spread beef and bean mixture. Layer remaining ingredients in order given above. When finished, drag the tip of a spoon through the avocado, revealing the sour cream underneath. These lines should mimic the lines on a football field.  You can also add toothpicks as goal post on the ends. Serve with tortilla chips for dipping.

Potato skin footballs
This is one I invented myself and has always turned out well for me. Everyone always loves the presentation and the footballs never cease to be the first things to run out. Unfortunately I don’t have a picture but I assure you they look adorable. If anyone makes these for their party, please send a picture my way and we’ll post in the photo blog!

Ingredients:
4 large russet potatoes or 8 yellow potatoes, baked
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
A pinch of salt
A pinch of garlic powder
A pinch of pepper
1 bag of bacon bits
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 can of bean dip
1/2 cup sour cream

Directions:
Cut potatoes in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp and discard (or save for another use) leaving nice shell of potato. Place on a greased baking sheet. Combine oil, Parmesan cheese, salt, garlic powder, and pepper and brush all over potato skins. Bake at 475° for about 8 minutes and turn over. Bake for another 8 minutes or so and then turn right side up. Sprinkle bacon and cheddar evenly inside of skins. Bake 2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Top with bean dip. Put sour cream in a plastic baggie and cut a small part off of one of the corners. Gentle squeeze sour cream out in lines to make the laces of the football.  Enjoy!

Football Sandwiches

Another easy favorite!
Ingredients:
Pumpernickel bread
Sliced cheese of your choosing

Directions:
Warm a lightly greased griddle over medium heat. Sandwich slices of your favorite cheese between pumpernickel bread. Then use a cookie cutter or butter knife to cut the sandwiches into football shapes. You can make the laces with little pieces of shredded cheese or with mustard/mayo.

Football brownies

These seem really obvious to me so I’ll skip the bs. Make your favorite brownies, boxed or homemade, it’s up to you. Top with a very thin layer of chocolate icing while they are still warm. Cut them into small football shaped pieces. Draw laces with white icing. Voila!

So there you have it girls – a super bowl celebration worthy of our presence. Have fun making these treats and send us your pictures so we can add them to the photo blog!