This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

We do not choose where we are born. We do not choose who our parents are. We do not choose where the world’s worst criminal will be located, or which crimes against humanity he will commit. Born into an American family, I am lucky enough to have the freedom to choose my life path and to live in a safe environment. In comparison, imagine being a Ugandan child. Imagine living in constant fear of rebel abductions and being forced into sex slavery or becoming a child soldier of the Lord’s Resistance Army. Imagine taking “night commutes,” or walking miles from your home to sleep in a church every single night to avoid abduction. For children of Uganda and its bordering countries this is not a hypothetical situation, this is their life.

What’s going on in Uganda? 

In 1986, the Holy Spirit Movement arose in opposition to the Ugandan government. The group was created to free northern Uganda from governmental oppression. When the leader died, Joseph Kony claimed to be a distant relative of the leader and took over. He renamed the group as Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA), and when he lost regional support and group members, he began to abduct children to fill army ranks. To date, Joseph Kony has abducted 30,000 children, including 55 abducted children last month. The girls are forced to become sex slaves for his older soldiers, and the boys become child soldiers. These soldiers are forced to kill or mutilate the faces of their own parents and siblings. What is the motive behind Joseph Kony’s abductions? Absolutely nothing besides his desire to maintain power.

How can we stop Kony?
The main issue is that Joseph Kony is not famous enough. He is not a common household name, and globally, few people are aware of the atrocious crimes against humanity he has committed over the past 26 years. If his actions continue to go unnoticed, the number of abducted children and murders will steadily increase. For years, American citizens were unaware of the Holocaust and Adolph Hitler, and we cannot let history repeat itself. The purpose of the Kony 2012 campaign is to make Joseph Kony famous, find him, and arrest him by December 31, 2012.

How can I get involved?

1. Watch and spread this video.
  2. Sign the pledge to join the Kony 2012 campaign.
  3. Buy the action kit ($30) which includes bracelets, posters, a t-shirt, buttons and more to help spread the campaign.
  4. Tweet to celebrities about Kony 2012.
  5. Write or call congress and urge them to get involved: this is a cause that both parties are willing to support, together.

It is imperative that we spread the word about Joseph Kony as soon as possible, to as many people as possible. We can help stop Kony once and for all, and allow the children of central Africa to return home safely and to lead the lives they deserve.

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.