Stay Safe and Mardi On

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Happy Mardi Gras everyone! Carnival season is now in full swing. Tulane is vibrant and colorful – literally. Plenty of students are walking around sporting the traditional green, gold, and purple, and are ready to party. Everyone seems happy and stress-free.

While Mardi Gras is almost guaranteed to be amazing (President Cowen even called it “the world’s greatest party”), there are some things I’ve been hearing for the past few days that I think students should take into consideration before they head out to the next four days of parades and parties.

1. It’s a marathon, not a sprint – if I had a penny for the amount of times I’ve heard this recently, I would never have to eat in Bruff again. But it’s true; if you opt to drink, pace yourself.
  2. Drink plenty of water – there’s a lot of walking involved, and you need to stay hydrated! I’ve also been told to keep granola bars and other little snacks in my fanny pack. Hand sanitizer and toilet paper is a good idea, too.
  3. Check the weather – they’re forecasting rain for Saturday, so don’t be caught without your rainboots! Keep in mind that rainboots get uncomfortable after walking around for a while, so make sure you have thick socks on. They help!
  4. Know where you’re going and make sure you stay with your friends – we all know that New Orleans can be crazy, and it’s about to get even crazier now. The last thing you want is to be separated from your friends.
  5. While we’re definitely here to have a good time, remember that Mardi Gras is also about being safe, too. You don’t want to end up doing something you regret in a few days.

Happy Mardi Gras! Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.