Spring Break as a Floridian

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

There is a huge difference between going to Florida on vacation for spring break, and going back home to Florida during the break. There are some unique qualities when you get to go home for break and you “live where people vacation.”

1. Flights home are unnecessarily pricey

When I was booking my flight home for the break, I forget how necessary it is to book it well in advance. For a 1-2 hour flight, prices can be from $400-600; that’s a large cost just to go home to see my family and sleep in my own bed.

2. You can’t even enjoy the beach

When anyone asks me how far away I live from the beach, I have to explain that there is a difference between going to the beach in season and off season. When it’s gross and humid in Florida, I can get to the beach from my house in 20-30 minutes, in “season” or from around November to March, it takes at least an hour depending on the bridge traffic. The traffic is just the start of going to the beach during spring break, because you also have to take into account how many spring breakers will fill up every piece of sand. This makes spring break a great time to avoid beaches.

3. Spot the tourist wearing hawaiian shirts and massive sunburns

As I walked to past all the gates leaving Florida, I looked at a crowd of hawaiian shirts- people clearly trying to “take a piece of paradise home” with them. They looked festive, though like they had enjoyed a little too much sun in this lovely state.

4. Ridiculously tan grandparents waiting at the airport for their grandkids
Besides the groups of college students in airports, there are also families that come down- most to visit their grandparents. As I was walking out of the airport terminal, I saw grandparents on grandparents greeting their children and grandchildren. It is always a sight to see the super tan grandparents hugging their families and realizing that they are without a doubt tanner than I will ever be.  
5. There is no good night of the week to go out to dinner
During off season, the people who are out and about at restaurants are locals, making weekends the time to go out to dinner. During season, every night is busy at restaurants because most of the people going out to eat are retirees, or people on vacation.
6. Clothes shopping is so much better
Not everything about tourists during season is terrible. One really awesome thing that I’ve noticed is that when there are more people visiting, stores step up their game and have better clothes out. When it is off season, stores are more dead because there is less business so there is less out on the floor. People are also more hospitable because they want to make sure you come back- jokes on them, you live there and will be back a lot!!!
7. You have a free place to stay in paradise, and a nice tan when you go back

The best part of living in Florida is watching people pay to stay at nice places during spring break, and knowing you have your bed and your family waiting for you and you don’t have to pay a cent!! If the weather is nice (unlike this week’s break in FL) you also get to go back with a super nice tan just from laying out in your backyard.

Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Tulane Chapter Senior at Tulane University Majoring in Psychology, Minoring in Public Health Originally from Fort Myers, Florida
Her Campus Tulane