The Skim on theSkimm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

In a recent interview with Van Jones, Oprah Winfrey told the audience how she begins each day as a “warrior of the light.” Winfrey stated, “So I wake up in the morning…and the first thing I say is, ‘Thank you.’ Even before I’m awake, even before my eyes are really fully open, I say, ‘Thank you.’… I can feel the gratitude like, ‘Woo, I’m still here. I’m in a body. Thank you so much. I thank you for that.’…And then I go through the letting the dogs out, the whole, you know, brushing your teeth and all of that stuff. And then I have either silence or prayer or something that acknowledges that I’m still here…I do not reach for that phone first. That’s your problem.”

Oprah I am sorry, but you are a goddess of otherworldly capabilities, and we are not worthy!!!!!!!

(Image via David Crotty/Patrick McMullan via Getty Images)

I wish I could have an infinitesimal fraction of Oprah’s grace and perfection, but until that day comes I will start my weekday mornings reading theSkimm.

I wake up and I reach for the phone against Oprah’s wishes and check my email immediately to see my daily newsletter. For those of you who haven’t heard about it already, theSkimm is a news media company started by two women famously from their living room couch. Carly Zakin and Danielle Weisberg launched theSkimm in 2012 as a free email newsletter that delivers major headlines in a reader-friendly format, featuring hyperlinks to articles for further reading if desired. The newsletter, the Daily Skimm, takes on an upbeat, often light-hearted tone to issues in the news that can be difficult to follow for the average person. TheSkimm frequently employs popular culture references, seamlessly blending together both serious news stories along with some “fluffier” pieces.

After reading theSkimm each morning, I genuinely feel more informed and prepared for discussions of current events, as the newsletter helps me stay more engaged with the world around me. TheSkimm breaks down headlines in a way that gives the most significant information in an unbiased, straightforward manner. If I decided to read further into a specific issue, then all I have to do is click on the link to learn more in depth information. If I don’t want to read more on that issue, however, I still feel like I have a decent understanding of the main facts of any given story. During this age of Internet news media, I find it particularly difficult to get the main points of  a lot of different stories one particular place. TheSkimm solves that issue by condensing a significant amount of information into a singular newsletter.

(Image via giphy.com via tumblr.com)

Additionally, theSkimm has expanded into their own app called Skimm Ahead, which allows users access to updates and reminders about major current events in the news and pop culture for just a few dollars per month. The app syncs with users’ smartphone calendars and sends alerts to subscribers depending on the categories about which they choose to be notified. TheSkimm also recently launched Skimm Notes, another app expansion, which delivers brief podcasts on headlines that require a little more depth of knowledge. In conjunction with this desire to make news more accessible for their subscribers, theSkimm also provides useful information on practical life skills, like registering to vote, filing your taxes, and making a budget. In short, theSkimm is here to help, and the company’s dedication to helping users be informed and prepared has not gone unnoticed by any means.

TheSkimm boasts thousands of loyal users who have become “Skimm’bassadors.” These users share a URL with others in their own communities to spread the word about theSkimm and its mission. By getting others to subscribe, Skimm’bassadors earn incentives, such as giveaways and closer partnership with theSkimm Headquarters. (side note: if you want to sign up for the free Daily Skimm, use this link: http://www.theskimm.com/?r=4beb7c32 ) TheSkimm continually shows appreciation for their loyal users and openly asks for feedback on social media sites. The company also demonstrates a clear goal to keep innovating and creating new facets to their already established presence in the news media world. And let’s not forget, theSkimm was started by two hard-working, glass-ceiling-breaking, millennial WOMEN !!!!!

(Image via giphy.com via fukyeahmusicgifs.tumblr.com/post/14235710058/beyonce-run-the-world-girls )

I recognize critics of theSkimm who might think that this type of condensed, contemporary news style doesn’t constitute “real” news. TheSkimm, however, has created a platform for realistic news consumption in our fast-paced world. In my own experience with theSkimm, I learn something new every time I read my newsletter in the morning. So maybe Oprah will forgive me for reaching for the phone each morning when I wake up?? We warriors of the light need to stay informed, after all.

Her Campus Tulane