This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Unless you’re living under a rock, you should know that Justin Bieber just came out with a new album. This has been the first album that Bieber has released since 2015. He did recently release a banger with Dan and Shay (my dream collab come to life), but this album is a long time coming. So everyone was pretty excited when he announced there was a new album coming. Bieber chooses to release ‘Yummy” as the first single from the album. Whether this was a good idea or not, I’m still not sure, but the song did get a lot of attention, especially on TikTok. I’m still not really sure if the song is good though. The second single, which kind of just mixed into the album release was “intentions” featuring Quavo. I happen to really like this song, but it took me a few times to listen to it before I was able to make a decision.

Including the collaboration with Quavo, there are six collaborations out of seventeen songs on this album. They are “Forever” with Post Malone and Clever (not really sure who this is though), “Running Over” with Lil Dicky, “Second Emotion” with Travis Scott, “Get Me” with Kehlani, and a “Yummy” remix by Summer Walker. “Forever” is a song I really like, and not only because it features Post Malone. It has a fun beat to it and it’s really catchy the way he keeps saying “forever”. “Running Over” is also a good song, but it reminds me of a slower version of “Forever”. The longer I’m listening to these songs, they are beginning to sound the same not gonna lie. Same thing with “Second Emotion” but with the classic Travis Scott sound. “Get Me” is nice because we finally get a female collab. And finally, the “Yummy” remix. I’m not the biggest fan of the song, to begin with, but I honestly can’t decide which one I like more. They don’t even sound THAT different to me. Yes, there are differences but overall, not that many.

I am a Justin Bieber fan, so don’t get mad at me when I say this. The album is not bad. At all. There are already some songs that I added to my playlist. But, all the songs seem to have the same premise and kind of the same tune. It doesn’t mean they all aren’t great songs and I won’t listen to them, but I guess this is the new style he is trying to achieve with his music. It’s definitely a different sound from his “One Less Lonely Girl” and “Baby” days. 

Carlie Littman Roslyn, NY Junior
Her Campus Tulane