Operation: Appreciation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Last week I left you all with the simple challenge of reflecting on what constitutes an “adventurer”.  Have you given it any thought? If you’re like most college students around this time of year, the answer is likely an emphatic no; with final projects, papers, and exams looming most of us are happy to have enough time to sit down to eat a meal or get dressed in something besides the sweats we slept in (and studied in… and wore all day yesterday…).

For those of you who did have a little time to ponder my question, I’d like to send you a resounding “thank you”! Whatever aspects you may have clarified—what an adventurer looks like, acts like, smells like, talks like, etc—I really appreciate you taking the time to think about it, even if your epiphanies didn’t make it into the comments section. ;) 

Conveniently, appreciation is also an essential attribute for every aspiring adventurer.

Think about it:  do you have to be a photographer to enjoy an awe-inspiring nature shot? Can you delight in a delectable meal even if you’re not a chef?  Are authors the only ones that take pleasure in reading?  Not at all! Anyone can appreciate beautiful scenery, delicious food or a thrilling page-turner.

So why is it that most of us fail to identify ourselves as adventurers? If we were to acknowledge the ability to embrace new experiences as a distinguishing trait, we could welcome an entirely new gaggle of personalities to the adventure-seekers club!

I’ll leave you all on that exhilarating note for this week.  While you eagerly await next week’s post, take a minute to appreciate something, anything.  The power of an intense thunderstorm, your best friend’s sense of humor, your family, or getting out of class early and having the chance to enjoy a beautiful spring day in New Orleans.  Then consider yourself a privileged member of the, increasingly inclusive, adventure society!

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.