This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

As anyone who has been on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or Snapchat today surely knows, today millions of people across the nation marched for gender equality today in various sister Women’s Marches. I got to participate in New Orleans’ march and it was such a wonderfully empowering experience that I had to write a post about it. I’m also very happy to share that three generations of nasty Morford women participated in sister marches today: my grandmother in Indianapolis, my mother in Chicago, and myself in New Orleans!

I have certainly supported various fights for social justice in the past, but I’ve never been involved in a march or protest. My cousin is a really great photographer and very passionate about social justice, so I’ve lived somewhat vicariously through his photos from rallies, protests, etc., but now I’ve had my own taste and I have to say I’m hooked! Tulane’s Women in Politics club organized a trip to Washington D.C. for students who wanted to attend the march there, but I couldn’t commit to two overnights on a bus so I didn’t sign up. Luckily, some of my new sorority sisters and a friend of mine were also eager to march here in New Orleans. This morning we all convened at an older sister’s house and made signs. I’ll put a picture of mine below, but they ranged from artistic ones that had a raised fist inside of a female symbol to witty ones with clever phrases like “Girls just want to have FUNdamental rights.” We also painted purple female symbols on our cheeks and put on purple lipstick to match our purple shirts.

One we are ready, we all piled into a few Ubers and went down to Washington Square Park which was the meeting point for the marchers. Because we had taken awhile to do our signs, we missed a lot of the speeches that people were making before the march started, but we also didn’t have to stand around waiting for very long. The first thing I noticed was how positive everybody in the crowd was, which is to be expected of New Orleans. All around me people were laughing, cheering, hugging, and confidently showing off their signs. There were people of all ages, genders, races, nationalities, and backgrounds there and it was honestly, for lack of a better word, so amazing! I know that this is so cliché, but I felt so connected with everybody there and I’ve never experienced that with a huge group of strangers before. We marched from the park through the French Quarter and the Central Business District until we reached City Hall. I loved seeing all of the different signs because it made me feel like even though we were all marching and chanting together, everyone still had an outlet to express their individual concerns, and there was certainly a variety of concerns! Here are some of the funniest, wittiest, and most memorable ones:

“My dog would make a better president”

“I won’t call you a cunt because you lack depth and warmth”

“Went on down to the Audubon Zoo and they all axed for…not you ’cause you didn’t win the popular vote so…”

“Bet his tiny hands make Putin’s dick look yuge”

While there was definitely a serious aspect to the march, at times it felt more like a parade because it took on a New Orleans spin. There was an open coffin with Lady Liberty laying in it and a jazz funeral band playing behind it. With live music for most of the march and people drinking and dancing, it was a very lively event and I found myself dancing through the streets with a huge smile on my face.

Walking through the French Quarter was the best part as people cheered us on from cafes, balconies, and shops. I felt so proud standing for what I believe in and it was so cool to do it with so many people. I definitely want to participate in more protests and rallies in the future and I’m glad that I could start off my political involvement career like this!

Her Campus Tulane