Music to My Ears: Songs for Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Enjoy the beautiful springtime New Orleans weather while listening to this week’s lineup!

1. Danza Kuduro – Don Omar ft. Lucenzo
A big shout out to Cat, Her Campus Tulane campus correspondent, for introducing me to this song! This song may have it’s roots in Latin America but all I can think is of one thing – get me to Miami!! It is so energetic and fun that you can’t help but think of how close summer is, which for some of us means endless amounts of beach days, daiquiris and tans. While this may not be the case for me personally, I’ll continue to listen to this song and hope that maybe one day I’ll finally get the tan I’ve been dreaming of. Just give this song a listen and you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about.

2. Marilyn Monroe – Nicki Minaj
I’ll be honest – it took awhile for Nicki Minaj to grow on me. At first I thought she was just another unoriginal peppy singer who would have a few popular singles and then never be heard from again. However, with her latest album Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded, I have been converted to a Minaj fanatic. This is one of my absolute favorite songs by her, and it definitely hits a deeper tone than her usual stuff.

3. Too Close – Alex Clare
Don’t think this is just another song about a lover-in-distress. Alex Clare hails from London, England and incorporates an amazing mixture of powerful lyrics with an electronic/dubstep chorus, which creates an incredibly unique, and amazing, outcome. This song is definitely a must-listen.

4. Mountain Sound – Of Monsters and Men

Who are these people and where have they been all my life?! Okay,well it turns out that their first album was just released in 2011, but still. This Icelandic band has produced possibly the best springtime song of all time with “Mountain Sound;” it reminds me how I need to take a step back from my all of life’s stress and just run through a field of daisies. Seriously.

5. What’s the Difference – Dr. Dre, Eminem, Alvin Joiner

Just last week in one of my Philosophy classes, my entire class had a huge debate over how rap music has dramatic changed for the worse “since the days of Dr. Dre”. Of course, rap styles are always constantly changing, but it’s up to the listener to decide if this generation of artists are really “worse” or not – music never has a “definite” answer since it’s up to you to decide! Either way, I thought I would introduce this 2001 Dr. Dre song back into 2012, as it has always been one of my favorites.

JoEllen is a senior at Tulane University where she is majoring in Philosophy and Psychology. She is particularly active with the Tulane chapter of Relay for Life and spent last summer studying abroad in Bali, Indonesia, where she hopes to move some day. JoEllen loves writing, eating delicious Cajun and Creole food, and exploring the city of New Orleans.
Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.