Movie Review: The Perks of Being a Wallflower

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Based on the critically acclaimed novel by Stephen Chbosky, The Perks Of Being A Wallflower, is a must see movie this fall. If you have already fallen in love with the book, the movie is a near perfect representation of the text. Directed by Chbosky himself, the film is set in the beautiful city of Pittsburgh, PA and it is in this magical city of bridges and tunnels that his story comes to life. As stated by Summit Entertainment, “The Perks Of Being a Wallflower is a modern classic that captures the dizzying highs and crushing lows of growing up. Starring Logan Lerman, Emma Watson and Ezra Miller, The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a moving tale of love, loss, fear and hope—and the unforgettable friends that help us through life.” From the powerhouse cast, to the flawless delivery of our favorite quotes in the novel, the film beautifully depicts the insecurity and struggles in each and every one of us.

Take a night off from studying, gather your closest friends, and enjoy a film that reminds us of the importance of friendship and most importantly, that we are never alone as long as we have loyal friends that see us for who we really are. When you come out of the movie thinking, “wow, what a great movie and what a great soundtrack”, have no fear! The soundtrack is available on Spotify free of charge! If you are unfamiliar with the new Internet radio must have, check out last weeks article on the benefits of Spotify.  You can now listen to your favorite tracks from the movie and listen to numerous playlists created by other Perks fans. If you still need convincing that seeing this movie is a great way to spend your Friday night, check out the movies webpage  for trailers and movie scenes. This film is truly one of the best films of the year and as stated by Fox-Tv, The Perks Of Being A Wallflower is, “‘The Breakfast Club’ for a new generation’”. So, take some time away from the books and spend 103 minutes re-living the ups and downs of high school and memories of years past. Who knows, you might even find yourself wishing for a night with a cloudless sky, an open road, music beating in your ears, and the reminder of what it feels like to truly be infinite.

PS- Just in case you were wondering what the “tunnel song” is (because you want to blast it in your car ASAP), it’s “Heroes” by David Bowie. Enjoy.

Erin is an (almost) graduate of Tulane University, graduating with an BA in English. She has enjoyed being a member of Her Campus Tulane and leading the chapter this year alongside Brittany Kottler. After graduation, she hopes to move out to the Bay Area to fulfill her dreams of joining the tech industry.