Melissa Barwick, President of Newcomb Senate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Name: Melissa Barwick

Hometown: Lilburn, Georgia

Year: Senior

Major: Political Science

What exactly is Newcomb Senate for those that don’t know? It used to be the governing body of Newcomb College until 2006 when it was folded into Tulane. The constitution was restructured and now we are a programming body that has events for women’s leadership. We are the governing body over 9 student groups and we have reps from all 5 schools, along with two freshman reps.

What is your position within Newcomb Senate, how did you get here, and what does this entitle? I am the president. I was Freshman Rep, then treasurer, and this is my second year of being president. I basically delegate and oversee what everyone else on the senate is doing, and facilitate communication between Newcomb senate and other groups on campus.
What is your favorite part of being on Newcomb Senate? I like being in the know about women’s centered events on campus. I love Celebrate Newcomb Week and Spring Arts Festival. In general, I love getting to know and interact with strong women.

What is it important for there to be specific programming for women on campus? Women are generally not as competitive as men in the workplace. It is important to have roles to cultivate leadership in order go into work, especially in the business and political world, and be confident and accomplished. Women have specific needs that need to be addressed that are not as important to men. For example, I did a program on campus safety and had someone from TUPD come talk to us. Even in the workplace today, the pay gap is absurd, and women need the confidence to go into interview room and say this is what they want to make!

What other things are you involved in on campus? I work at the Registrar’s office, and I’m in AKPsi Business Fraternity.

Where is your favorite place to eat in Nola? My roommate is from Nola, so I prefer for my roommate to make me red beans and rice! Why pay for it when you can get it for free?

What is your favorite place to shop? Although it isn’t specific to New Orleans, I really like New York and Co.

What comes to mind when you think of Tulane? Newcomb College Institute

Any advice for underclassmen about getting involved on campus? Don’t spread yourself too thin. It’s easy to want to get involved in everything, but you won’t be effective if you can’t devote substantial time to the things you are a part of. Try out a few things, and then really jump into what you like and run for leadership within it.

For those interested in being part of Newcomb Senate, elections will happen again in the spring.

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.