Mark it with a “B”: Mac Attack

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Despite New Orleans’ notoriety for lip-smacking delicacies such as Jambalaya, po-boys, and beignets, sometimes all you want is to satisfy a hankering for good ol’ classics like macaroni and cheese. By no means do I intend to minimize the culinary glory that is New Orleans, but such heavy cuisine necessitates periodic breaks and what better opportunity than to turn to childhood favorites. Luckily, chefs throughout the city are dishing up this comfort food while infusing innovative ideas to make for a creatively tasty end result. Here I’ve taken the liberty of compiling a list of four restaurants doling out delicious mac and cheese—hopefully you will get the chance to check them out and quell your queso cravings!

The lineup includes:

Boo Koo BBQ—owner Lee Mouton imparts his own personal twist on the classic favorite. He melts fresh smoked Gouda and sharp cheddar cheeses, adds truffle oil to the mix and blends in cooked elbow noodles. After refrigerating the mixture overnight, he scoops the chilled mac and cheese into balls, coats them with panko breadcrumbs and egg wash, and fries them to golden perfection to create a crunchy crust encasing warm, gooey mac and cheese inside. 

Café B—if you’re seeking a refined version of macaroni and cheese, then Ralph Brennan’s Café B is your best bet. Executive chef Chris Montero puts a sophisticated spin on this classic dish by incorporating Irish white cheddar and Gruyere cheeses, making for a tangy white cheese sauce. Each dish receives a generous helping of freshly grated Parmesan cheese and brioche breadcrumbs, whereupon it is baked to order in a cast-iron pot. Sounds like a chef after my own heart.

Cowbell—although Cowbell may be infamous for its mouth-watering burgers, don’t underestimate other specialties, most notably the gourmet mac and cheese. Chef-owner Brack May delivers a harmonious blend of flavors and textures that surely will not disappoint. Diners will swoon over the luxuriously rich and creamy white sauce, which is topped with Parmesan cheese and herbs.

The Joint—backyard barbecue lovers will rejoice over the Joint’s velvety mac and cheese, which is made with a sharp cheddar cheese sauce, elbow noodles, and a dash of spice. This version, imbued with sprinklings of cayenne pepper, serves homage to traditional barbecue fare.

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.