Mark it with a “B”: Celebrating Easter in New Orleans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

For those of you staying in NOLA this weekend, treat yourself and celebrate the holidays in classic New Orleanian style—through great food and drink. Let’s be honest, that’s what’s most important in life, right? If you’re one of the lucky ones who will be in the city this weekend amidst all the festivals, then be sure to check out these two events:

4th Annual Easter Keg Hunt
When: Saturday, April 7
            12-7 pm

Initially,I took a double take when I first glanced at the title of this event, but who am I kidding, this is New Orleans we’re talking about, where every holiday is an excuse to party in excess. The 4th Annual Easter Keg Hunt, sponsored by the New Orleans Lager & Ale Brewing Company, will be held this Saturday, April 7from 12:00 pm – 7:00 pm. The scavenger hunt will take place throughout the Warehouse District, where participants are advised to search by foot, bike, skateboard, and even pogo stick for clues in order to find the final destination where there will be live music and no doubt, free beer! Those interested in 
participating can register their teams (comprised of 2-6 people) before the event for $12 per person or on the day of the event for $15 per person. If you’re still not sold, just wait because there’s more in store. Awards will be given for Best Team Name, Best Team Costume, Best Individual Costume, and Last Place (I’ve never heard of such a thing but I’m all for it!) I don’t know about you, but this sounds like it could make for an Easter you will always remember (however, this may be questionable after all the imbibing of free beer that will conclude thescavenger hunt.) Unfortunately, I will be out of town this weekend, but if not, you bet I would be pogo-ing around the Warehouse District, beer in hand and in search of clues. Essentially, this event can be summed up in 2 words: booze and bunnies—how can you say no to that?

The Freret Street Festival
When: Saturday, April 7
            12-6 pm
Where: Freret Street between Napoleon Avenue & Soniat Street

On a slightly more subdued note, another festival will be taking place this weekend and it’s only a stone’s throw away from campus. The Freret Street Festival will be in full swing this Saturday, April 7 from 12 pm – 6 pm and will span the length of Freret Street between Napoleon Avenue and Soniat Street. The Freret Street Festival serves as the official kick-off to festival season and will boast activities for just about everyone, including over 200 local vendors, live music on four stages, a petting zoo, African Stilt Walkers, and a whole lot more. While the festival has plenty to offer in the realm of entertainment, my interest naturally gravitates toward the food scene. There will be over thirty different food vendors serving up fresh, local delicacies to the community. While perusing the list of festival vendors, I was struck by the number of names I was not familiar with—as a self-proclaimed foodie, this does not bode well with me! I decided to conduct some research to learn more about these local food vendors and ultimately determined that my favorites include The Fry Bar, Sur Empanadas, Cake N Cups and Meltdown. Be sure to check out this event as it guarantees to be a good time.

Happy Holidays and enjoy the long weekend!

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.