Losing Whitney Houston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Whitney Houston will forever be remembered as an ultimate diva: her voice was one of a kind and she owned every single performance she ever did. Her death on the eve of the Grammy’s was an event for which no one was prepared and left the world in complete shock. Without music’s number one powerhouse diva, the music community is now in mourning over the loss of one of the most unique and successful artists to ever live.

Houston’s personal life became quite public over the years. She had a tumultuous marriage with singer Bobby Brown that ended in divorce in 2007. She battled with alcohol, cocaine, and prescription drugs for several years. In the months before her death, friends and family claim she was on a downward spiral, and her bodyguard quit, saying, “I cannot protect her from herself.” And now, Whitney Houston has not left a large fortune to be inherited by her daughter, Bobbi Kristina, because she spent the majority of her earnings on drugs. Music mogul Clive Davis even loaned the singer $1 million to assist Whitney Houston in her rehabilitation process.

This story happens far too often in show business: the wildly successful and talented artist on the outside is a drug-addicted struggler on the inside. Whitney Houston was one of the best-selling artists to date, but what she happy? Her addiction to drugs was stronger than anything else, even her undeniable talent and passion for music. The strength of her addiction unfortunately led to her unexpected death, at the young age of 48.

Major icons of Hollywood and the music scene have died too young due to drug addictions: Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, and Heath Ledger are just a few examples of talent lost to drugs. It is difficult for family, friends, and fans to cope with losing an icon or loved one when addictions ultimately claim a star’s life. Houston’s 18 year-old daughter turned to alcohol and a sedative pill after receiving the news of her mother’s passing, which resulted in a hospitalization for extreme anxiety and emotional distress.

While Whitney Houston will always remain one of the most brilliant R & B singers of her time, her success is inescapably tainted by her battle with drugs and alcohol. However, we must celebrate Whitney’s musical career, which forever changed pop culture. 

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.