Laura Manning – Incoming President of Pi Beta Phi Sorority

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

What year are you? Where are you from? What’s your major?
I am a junior from Knoxville, Tennessee, and I am majoring in Psychology.

What are Pi Phi’s colors/icons?:
Pi Phi’s colors are wine and silver blue. Our symbol is the arrow and our mascot is an angel.

What philanthropy is Pi Phi associated with?
Our main philanthropy is promoting literacy, and our organization partners with First Book, a national organization dedicated to providing underprivileged children with the opportunity to read and own their first book. Within the first year of the partnership, Pi Phi was able to give over 350,000 books to impoverished American children!

When is your term as president going to be?
My term as President began on Bid Day 2011. I will serve until next January.
What prompted you to run for President? Have you served as any other position in Pi Beta Phi?
Previously, I held the position of Vice President of Administration for Pi Phi. I had always been interested in running for President, and after learning and growing with our executive council last year, I decided to run for it!

What are some of your tasks as President?
My main tasks as President are being the liaison between our chapter and Nationals, and our chapter and the Panhellenic community at Tulane. I also am in charge of making sure all other officers are fulfilling their duties for Pi Phi, and I have to make sure everything is running smoothly.

How do you think you’ll be in involved with Pi Phi after you graduate?
After graduation, I plan on joining a local alumni association to remain involved with Pi Phi. I have also considered becoming an LDC for Nationals– an LDC is a recent college grad who travels the country helping Pi Phi chapters out with any problems or issues they are having.

What is your favorite part about being in your sorority?
My favorite part about being in a sorority is that no matter what, I have 190 girls I can turn to if I need help with anything at all… and I would do the same for every one of them!

What does Pi Phi officially pride itself on?
I think Pi Phi does a great job at being extremely involved around campus, making excellent grades (our chapter had the 2nd highest of any Greek organization last semester), and still managing to have a ton of fun in our free time. To me, that balance is what college life is all about!

Are you involved in any other campus activities?
Yes! I have served for 3 years as the secretary of both Undergraduate Student Government and Associated Student Body Government. I also served two years on the exec board of the Science and Engineering Honor Society. I am currently a member of Green Wave Ambassadors, a Tulane group that gives tours and other programming for Prospective Students. I also blog about Student Life for the Undergraduate Admissions Office… you can check it out.

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.