This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Being in a long-distance relationship in college can be tricky especially when the person you care about most is hundreds of miles away. While at times this tribulation can make you upset, this is a perfect time to grow as an individual while still having someone to love and rely on as a support system. I have some tips that are great ways to keep the spark alive and make long-distance a little easier…

Find creative, and adorable, ways to stay in touch

While this may at first present as being self-explanatory, and obvious, I don’t just mean texting or calling. The highlight of my day is receiving a cute GIF texted or funny meme DM’d to me on Instagram from my long-distance boyfriend. Don’t be afraid to spontaneously reach out throughout the day and put a smile on your significant other’s face. Send relatable Tik Toks, posts, and even articles that show them you are thinking of them.

Game Pigeon.

While this one may seem bizarre, my boyfriend and I have recently started playing Game Pigeon mini-games throughout the day, inputting a little competition and playful fun into my own relationship. Doing this takes little time and is a fun way to stay in touch with your partner especially if you are also incredibly competitive. While often I am bested, it’s not about winning or losing in that sense, it’s about finding a new way to interact during the day.

Write it down…

When something interesting or funny happens during your day write it down in your notes app so you can tell your “SO,” aka significant other, about it later. Sometimes conversations on the phone can be repetitive or have lulls so to avoid that, talk about the interesting or weird things that happened to you that day. Sometimes, I will admit, it’s hard that your partner isn’t there to experience some of these things with you, but giving them a rundown is the next best thing!

In conclusion…

Just know that you are not alone. Many college students are tackling long-distance which creates a perfect on-campus support system of people who “get it.” Talk to them about your struggles and even get some advice! Don’t be afraid of the overall challenge as it only makes your relationship and communication skills stronger! 

Annabelle Tomczyk is a freshman at Tulane University studying communications. When she is not doing school work she can be found at the gym, exploring New Orleans, or trying new and delicious restaurants around the city.