Keep Calm and Mardi On

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Congratulations to everyone for surviving Mardi Gras 2012! I am sure everyone who was in New Orleans for the weekend ended Mardi Gras with crazy, unimaginable stories to tell all of their friends, whether they were Tulane students or visitors. However, there are a few misconceptions about Mardi Gras, such as:

1. What my parents think I do: Disappear for five days. (I received many “How are you!? Please respond soon!” text messages, as well as “When is Mardi Gras over?”).

2. What my friends from other schools think I do: Go to Bourbon Street and flash people for beads.

3. What betcheslovethis.com think: “Mardi Gras outfit planning is a special stressor that’s unique to Tulane betches, but it’s likely that if you go here, you have an arsenal of purple, green, and gold attire that you’ve been rotating since you visited as a pre-frosh.”

Contrary to popular belief of my family and friends, I did not disappear for five days, and no, I did not go to Bourbon to flash people for beads. Do I have an array of gold, purple, and green attire special for Mardi Gras? Guilty…but it’s not my biggest stressor.

Mardi Gras is the most unique celebration in the United States. The entire city of New Orleans shuts down to celebrate and attend parades. It is nearly impossible to drive anywhere in the city, especially down St. Charles. What makes Mardi Gras so different than other major college events is that Mardi Gras is a city-wide celebration. Sure, Tulane students celebrated differently than high school students who celebrated differently than families, but regardless, the entire city comes together. We even got to have celebrities such as Will Ferrell lead Bacchus and Maroon 5 lead Endymion.

Mardi Gras is more than just partying for a few days; we are immersing ourselves in the culture of New Orleans. This city prides itself on its Mardi Gras traditions, and we have the opportunity to partake in these traditions as Tulane students. I hope everyone had a great Mardi Gras, and is now ready to get back to reality.

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.