Kamya Raja, President of Tulane’s International Society

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Campus Celebrity: Kamya Raja, President of Tulane’s International Society

1) Hometown: Fremont, California

2) Year: Sophomore

3) Major: Public Health & International Development, Minor: Spanish

4) What exactly is the Tulane International Society for those that don’t know?
The Tulane International Society is a fun way to get to know other students interested in international topics. We act as a forum to share ideas and promote awareness of international topics, particularly concerning women since we are a Newcomb organization. This year our advocacy topic is access to clean water. We are planning on a having a huge awareness week in March next semester so look out for that!

5) What is your role within the Tulane International Society?
As President I represent the society to both the Tulane and Newcomb communities. I’ve been spearheading change in the society from last year since we’re a relatively new organization and still molding our image on campus.

6) What other organizations are you involved in on campus?
I’m a part of Public Health Society, judge debate tournaments through the Debate Club & Debate Society (Yes, there are two debate organizations) and within Newcomb, attend Women in Science meetings.

7) What’s your favorite place to eat in Nola? I love all the spicy creole/cajun food but can’t narrow down a restaurant. My sweet tooth loves the Creole Creamery though, especially their lavender honey flavored ice cream.

8) What’s your favorite place to shop in Nola? All the boutiques down Magazine. They’re adorable!!

9) What comes to mind when you think of Tulane? I think of New Orleans. The city has a huge impact on campus life and has greatly shaped my experience here. 

10) Any advice for freshman about getting involved on Campus
I’d definitely recommend going to club meetings. Even if you aren’t sure about what the club does or if you’d enjoy it, go with some friends to a meeting and check it out. Clubs are always excited to see new faces at activities/events.

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.