This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

When the time to finally announce the new president of Tulane came last week, the students, staff, and faculty were eager to welcome Michael Fitts. As the 15th president, Michael Fitts admitted that he was both “honored and humbled” to take on the job at Tulane. 

“Let me say: I love Tulane and what it stands for. I am so looking forward to getting to know up close the entire Tulane community. The strengths of Tulane are like no other. ”

Michael Fitts is no stranger to the world of higher education. He went to Harvard as an undergrad and was a law student at Yale. He has spent his recent years leading the University of Pennsylvania School of Law as Dean. Under his leadership, Penn Law has become a leader in cross-disciplinary programs. He also expanded Penn Law’s global connections and impacts in international programs. And not to mention, he has been a prodigious fundraiser. 

It’s definitely not a secret that his academic credentials are in the right place, but what about Mike Fitts makes him the right person for a unique school like Tulane? Current President, Scott Cowen, believes he is the perfect man for such a job. At the announcement ceremony, Cowen proudly praised Fitts, saying, “Mike understands that being Tulane’s president is not merely a job or a position, it’s a labor of love.” 

Fitts is ready for his journey to New Orleans. He looks at this move as a the completion of his own family circle. Half of his family has deep roots in the south and he is excited to merge these qualities with the life he has lived up North. 

Most importantly, Michael Fitts is anxious to try some New Orleans food, watch the first football game at Yulman Stadium, experience Mardi Gras, and immerse himself in the culture of this great city. 

Tulanians may not be quite ready to say goodbye to Scotty C., but if anyone was right to fill the job, Michael definitely “Fitts” the position. 

Her Campus Tulane