How To Be Festive Yet Practical During Mardi Gras

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

It’s finally Mardi Gras season. The city is in a frenzy to welcome its annual influx of tourists, the bakeries are selling out of their King Cakes, and people are dressed in purple, green and gold…and glitter and lingerie and spandex!?

Yes. This time of year brings out some crazy costume attire. Be prepared to see a few too many Ke$ha look-a-likes strolling (or stumbling) along the parade routes. This is the one time during the year, other than Halloween, that it is possible to look absolutely ridiculous…and get away with it because it is “festive”.

However, for those of you who do not wake up in the morning feeling like Ke$ha, there are plenty of ways to dress up without the lime-green-legging-and-gold-suspenders combo. Here are my top five ways to be festive yet practical for Mardi Gras 2011.

Throw Me Something, Mister!Beads. What is Mardi Gras without the past time of bead throwing? These are essential to any Mardi Gras outfit. Whether you catch them during the parades or knock a few off the many adorned trees on campus, beads make even the plainest outfit festive. They range from small, single-colored beads to outrageous themes. You can’t go wrong adding a few strands to your outfit before heading out.

Perlis, A New Orleans Tradition Since 1939
The Mardi Gras rugby, worn by both men and women, is a festive yet classy way to wear the traditional purple, green and gold. However, if you are not ready to shell out $75, there are more affordable options at Walmart, K-Mart, and various tourist shops throughout the city.

I Love You, Mardi Gras…But My Clothes Don’tIn the midst of trying to look your best this year, don’t forget that Mardi Gras is not the cleanest of events. Be practical. Don’t wear flip-flops or any open-toed shoes when walking along the parade routes. Not only is it unsanitary, it is dangerous as well.  Do wear boots, sneakers, loafers, etc. It is important to be comfortable, as you will be walking a lot. Do not wear your favorite shoes (or any of your favorite clothes) if you do not want anything to possibly get ruined.

The 90s Called, They Want Their Style BackAs much as I hate to say this, the fanny pack is essential for Mardi Gras goers. While purses get in the way and clutches are easily lost or stolen, the fanny pack is an easy and practical way to carry your most important items. They come in a variety of colors and prints. Remember, this is Mardi Gras so you are allowed to look a little ridiculous, especially if it is to keep your belongings safe. 

This lovely 90s trend is sold online or in a multitude of stores such as Walmart, Target, or American Apparel.

It’s All in the Face (and Nails)If you’re not comfortable wearing ridiculous clothing but you want to show some spirit, makeup is an outlet. If you want to paint your entire face purple, green and gold, go right ahead. However, for those of you that do not wish to do this, wearing glittery eye shadow or liner is an option, or different variations of the Mardi Gras colors. Nail polish is another outlet. Try the new OPI Black Shatter over any colorful manicure, any bright colors or the traditional Mardi Gras colors. And for all you glitter lovers, go crazy.  If you need inspiration, go online. Sites such as YouTube or  fashion magazine websites offer a plethora of Mardi Gras makeup tips and instructions.

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.