How to Apply the First Layer of Makeup: Foundation to Bronzer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Okay so everyone like two people have asked me how I do my makeup so I thought I’d share. (Disclaimer: if you think I look like a rodeo clown then by all means do not take my advice.)  Someone once asked me specifically about my bronzing technique, so that’s where I’ll begin.

When I think about putting on makeup, as cliché as it is, I really do think of my face as a blank canvas.  For the artists out there you know you have you prep a canvas – bronzer and foundation are the prep steps for the face. 

Foundation:

For my foundation I use Almay TLC. It’s really long-lasting and doesn’t look too dry or too greasy. (It’s not something I’d make up. lol puns.) I apply my foundation with a makeup wedge–those small triangles that feel like a tempurpedic mattress. I just put a pea sized drop on the wedge and then start on one cheek and basically paint it on to my face. The trick is that I don’t use much more than that original pea size. I just keep moving it around my face and the wedge helps to make sure it’s all even.

Concealer:

Next I use a concealer to better hide my unruly pimples or tame my dark circles under my eyes. For cases that aren’t that bad and only need a little touching up, I use a tube that the label came off of. So I’m not that helpful.  It’s a plain tube and has a silver cap, if that helps at all. But usually I just find a shade that’s a little bit lighter than my skin tone. Liquid concealear works the best for me when trying to cover my dark circles.  

For the truly hideous cases where I think not even taking an actual paintbrush to my face will cover it up, I use THE BEST concealer I have ever tried. Warning: it’s a little pricey but it’s worth it. I use Bobbi Brown corrector in light peach. It’s small enough to take with you anywhere and the littlest bit goes a long way.

Bronzer:

Lastly, I use my bronzer.  I have tried truckloads of bronzers and I have finally landed on one that works well and doesn’t look super orange. I use L’Oreal Paris True Match Super-Blendable Powder in neutral.  For days when I just want to look tan and cute and casual (so every day), I swipe a little of this, using a makeup brush, from the apples of my cheeks to about next to my eye. Then I put some around my hairline from ear to ear.  Then I put a little bit on my nose and chin, and I’m done! The most important thing to remember about bronzer is that you MUST BLEND.  I use my hands and just make sure there are no hard lines between my bronzer and the foundation. Blending will help make the bronzer look more natural.

Next time I’ll go into contouring for when you want to look super angular and have bangin’ cheekbones.

As always, feel free to leave comments below or email me at bgrief@tulane.edu.

— B. 

Her Campus Tulane