How To Apply Eyeshadow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Now that your foundation and contouring are completed, the next stop on our makeup saga is the eyes. I feel like the eyes are the main focus of anyone’s face, so making them stand out and look gorgeous is always a good way to feel beautiful. 

I love to use neutral colors (browns, beiges, topes, nudes) because they look great on all eye colors and you can never look like a clown when you stick with neutral tones. 

1.  To start I take a white or very light beige that has some shimmer to it. Three palettes I love are CoverGirl’s “Urban Basics,” CoverGirl’s “Café Au Lait,” and Maybelline’s “Mocha Motion.” These palettes are all neutrals and have a great light shade. I take the lightest shade and place some on the inner corner of my eyes. I also (using my finger still) put some on the inner third of my eyelid.  Using your iris as a guide, go from the inner edge of it to the corner of your eye – that whole lid portion gets the lightest shade.

2. Next, I choose a middle tone. Anything that’s either completely nude or a shade darker than your skin tone will work. This should also have a little bit of shimmer to it.  Again, using your iris as a guide, place the middle tone on your eyelid from the inner edge of your iris to the outer edge of your iris. With both the lightest and middle tones make sure to go all the way to the eyelid crease.

3. Now, I do the dark tone. Place the darkest tone on your eyelid from the outer edge of your iris to the outer corner of your eye. However, at the outer edge the darker tone can go over the crease and a little bit onto the brow bone. This will help add contrast to your face and make your eyes pop.

4. I always reapply a little more of the lightest tone to the inner corner of my eye, and a little bit on the lower lid near the corner as well. I also reapply some underneath the brow to help make the brow bones really pop.

5. I then throw on a little black liquid eyeliner on the top lid for a small cat-eye effect. I use Wet N’ Wild’s waterproof liquid eyeliner for that. I then use L’Oreal’s “Voluminous Smoldering Eyeliner” for the bottom lid. I curl my lashes and apply Maybelline’s “The Falsies Volume Express Flared Mascara” and I’m good to go!

For questions or comments, write below or email me at bgrief@tulane.edu.

— B. 

Her Campus Tulane