A Healthy Breakfast on the Go: Overnight Oats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

As busy college students, it’s not always easy to get your work done, run to that club meeting, get a good night’s sleep, AND have time for a healthy breakfast.  We tend to reach for a quick-fix for that morning hunger by grabbing something portable on the way to class. But, put down that sugary granola bar ladies!  I’m about to revolutionize your mornings with two of my own overnight oats recipes.  

What are overnight oats, you may ask?  They are an incredibly easy, fiber-filled, healthy breakfast that you can take with you anytime, anywhere.  Oats, nuts, fruit, and a myriad of other delicious ingredients come together to make the perfect breakfast.  Just whip up these easy recipes the night before, let them sit in your fridge overnight, and you’ll have a satisfying breakfast the next morning to take to class and power you through the morning. I promise, you will avoid that dreaded sugar crash!

Below are my two recipes for Dark Chocolate Overnight Oats with Pear and Cinnamon Overnight Chia Oats.  Don’t confine yourself to just these though!  There are a million other possibilities for flavors and toppings, so feel free to experiment and see what other yummy  creations you can come up with.

Dark Chocolate Overnight Oats

Ingredients

• 1/2 Cup of Unsweetened Almond Milk

• 2 tbs plain greek yogurt

• 1/2 to 1 whole banana, pureed in food processor or mashed with fork.  Amount of banana depends on sweetness you want (I did 1/2 because I love bitter chocolate)

• 1/2 cup rolled oats

• 1 tbs chia seeds

• 2 tbs of dark chocolate organic, raw cacao powder (regular unsweetened cocoa powder works too)

Directions

• Mix all of the ingredients together, literally shake it, in a mason jar, tupperware, whatever you have

• Let it sit overnight in the fridge  

• Wake up, top with whatever fruit or nuts you want, and eat some chocolate!!!

Warm Cinnamon and Pear Overnight Chia Oats

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup rolled oats

• 2 tbs chia seeds (I use Trader Joe’s brand)

• 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk

• 2 tbs plain greek yogurt

• 1 pear

• 2 tsp cinnamon

• Additional spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, etc) for sprinkling on top

• Honey (optional for those who prefer sweeter oats)

Directions

• Cut the pear in half, keep one half for now and refrigerate the other half to use in the morning

• Dice the half pear into small cubes

• Combine the oats, chia seeds, almond milk, yogurt, pear, and cinnamon

• Let the mixture sit overnight in the fridge

• In the morning, place the mixture in a microwave safe bowl and heat up for about a minute.  If the mixture is very thick and the oats have absorbed a lot, add a splash of water before microwaving

• While the mixture is heating, dice the remaining half of the pear

• Remove the oat and chia mixture, put in bowl, and top with remaining pear and any spices or nuts you want.  I used nutmeg, cinnamon, and almonds.

• Enjoy!

Asia Bradlee is a senior studying Public Health and English at Tulane University. She grew up in Boston, MA and has a passion for health and wellness writing. Asia has experience at Boston Magazine as the digital health intern and maintains her own wellness blog, Healthy, Hungry, Happy. 
Her Campus Tulane