GOP: Supporter of Freedom, Equality, and Gay Marriage?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

As a proud supporter of the GOP, I have a hard time hearing the ongoing criticisms over the party’s efforts to resonate with a younger base. Although I realize the turnout during Romney’s unsuccessful 2012 bid indicates a real need for revaluation, it infuriates me to hear the assumption that all Republicans must be “stuck in the past.” Many of my peers are often surprised to hear that I can identify with such a “backwards” party, especially when it comes to one of the most salient issues of my generation: same-sex marriage.

It is no secret that our country has experienced a dramatic shift in attitudes toward same-sex marriage over the past few decades. According to a recent New York Times article by Sheryl Gay Stolberg, the number of Americans in favor of same-sex marriage has increased from roughly one-third to over one-half in just the past ten years. There is no hiding behind the fact that the majority of Republicans lag behind in this attitude. But, here’s a figure most Americans don’t know: the latest New York Times survey reported a third of Republicans in favor of allowing gay people to marry. Ok, so there are Republicans who favor same-sex marriage. But what are they actually doing about it?

The signing of an amicus brief by prominent Republicans earlier this week indicates that there are in fact GOP leaders who are taking a stand. Dozens of big wig Republicans, including four former governors, two members of Congress, and several top George W. Bush advisers, signed this document to support a suit looking to overturn Proposition 8. This California ballot initiative bans same-sex marriage. By submitting this document to the Supreme Court, these leaders seek to contest the 1996 marriage law backed by House Republican Leadership.

Yes, the signing of a legal brief is only a small step in the direction towards a real change in the GOP’s position. It’s impossible to predict whether political moves such as this will work together with generational norms to increase that one-third figure. But in the meantime, the courage of these leaders to stand up amidst possible criticism from party leadership has to prove that there are Republicans moving in that direction. More than that, this points to the “forward” ideas that the GOP has always stood for: equality, freedom, and the opposition of intrusive government.

JoEllen is a senior at Tulane University where she is majoring in Philosophy and Psychology. She is particularly active with the Tulane chapter of Relay for Life and spent last summer studying abroad in Bali, Indonesia, where she hopes to move some day. JoEllen loves writing, eating delicious Cajun and Creole food, and exploring the city of New Orleans.