Focus on… Fashion Shoots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

This is going to be the first of a series of “how to shoot different kinds of photography”, like weddings, family group shots, surfing shots, portraits etc. Here’s to kicking it off with Fashion Shoots.

Recently, New Orleans had its second New Orleans Fashion Week, and HerCampus was fortunate to be able to get seats and talk to the designers and take photos. It was a very unique and different experience from the perspective of the being the photographer. I encountered challenges that are unique to the runway and I had a blast.

I’m not entirely sure I have wonderful advice for you on this one. I found this to be a really difficult challenge, but if you get the chance to get up and go stand next to the other photographers, especially if you have a digital SLR, DO IT! One of the other HerCampus Tulane photographers, Rebecca Shinners, said that when she was with the main group of photographers the lighting was perfect, but otherwise it was difficult to figure it how to set up your shot and I found that to be true as well.

Not only was the lighting really funky and harsh, but in the corner I was standing in, I had a clear view of the models for about 5 seconds, so I wound up taking a lot of shots of just their heads coming down the runway. Not exactly the “runway” shot I was hoping for. In addition, because the models were going so fast I had NO time to to figure out what the best settings were! Plus, I felt like I was on a marathon of
shooting, trying to get the best shot!

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.