This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

We all know that we should be eating nutritionally rich food and exercising daily, but a healthy life depends on so much more than food and gym time. Here are FIVE of the healthiest things you can do for yourself, starting today!

1. Floss, Brush, Rinse. Make sure you’re spending time taking care of your pearly whites at least once a day. Bacteria missed during brushing can eat away at your tooth enamel and mouthwash reduces your risk of developing gingivitis (not to mention ensures minty-fresh breath!).

2. Get the 411 on your family health history. Is your aunt depressed? Did your grandparents have high cholesterol, hypertension and/or heart disease? You should know the answers to questions like these, especially when it comes to your immediate family. Genetic disposition is a main risk factor for most chronic diseases; the good news is that integrating preventative measures into your life can greatly reduce your odds of developing the diseases that plague your relatives.

3. Cut out artificial sweeteners. While “zero-calorie” and “sugar-free” look great on a label, once those products are inside your body, it’s a much different story. Aspartame and other artificial sweeteners allegedly break down into toxic substances—such as formaldehyde—once they hit your stomach. In the case of sugar substitutes, zero-calorie equates to zero-benefits, so avoid them at all costs.

4. Fill your glass. Those who go through life with their glass half-empty are at a serious disadvantage. Optimists tend to get sick less and live longer, happier lives than pessimists. Look at the glass as half-full to ward off illness and increase your life expectancy.

5. Get your “om” on. Most of us would argue that we just don’t have time to meditate—we’ve got classes, meetings, work, studying and social lives to tend to, after all! However, finding even five minutes each day to meditate can reduce stress levels and improve concentration, which will save you time later.

Try adding just one of these activities to your daily routine each day this week and
you’ll be on your way to a healthier, happier you by Friday!

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.