Facing the Sweat: Let Your Skin Shine…the Right Way

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Find yourself loving the burn of going to the gym and working up a sweat, but somehow your skin doesn’t feel the same way? Don’t worry, I have consulted a trustworthy Dermatologist about how best to beat the gym sweat, stress, and the final heat waves of summer.

With these simple tips and tricks, your skin will be looking better than ever!

1.Cleansing Wipes –Are you off to the gym? Pack some gentle cleansing wipes with you and clean off after you have hit the gym. Clearing the sweat off of your face, chest, and back before you leave the gym is a great way to make sure the bacteria at the gym, stays at the gym.

*Note: Try bringing an extra t-shirt to the gym with you for after you work out. Wipe off and change your shirt before you leave –the sooner you remove your sweaty clothes, the better!

2.Mineral Makeup –Inevitably when our skin starts to break out, our reaction is to conceal it even more. Unfortunately, this has the potential to make things worse. The type of makeup you use is important! Try a mineral powder instead of a liquid foundation. This will help with shine control and concealment, and your skin will be able to breathe –it’s a win-win!

3.Blotting Wipes –Find yourself with a glistening t-zone by mid-day? Instead of attempting to wipe your sweat away with your fingers (which only adds bacteria and oil), try keeping some blotting wipes in your purse or backpack. You can simply slip into the bathroom before class and gently dab at your shine away!

4.Don’t clean too much! –I know it might seem counterintuitive, but cleaning your face too much can make it worse, not better. The easy rule to follow is cleanse your face after you work out, or have sweated extensively, and use a gentle exfoliating cleanser. Neutrogena, Clean & Clear, and Olay all sell great cleansing products for varying skin types, while Cetaphil and Aveeno are awesome moisturizers. The best part is all of these brands are available at any local drugstore, so no need to break the bank!

5.Clarisonic Brush –Feeling like splurging? The Clarisonic cleansing brush is the way to go. With different brush heads for various skin types, the Clarisonic brush rotates in circular motions to gently exfoliate your skin, remove dirt, and take away dead skin cells.  Great Clarisonic cleansers and lotions, as well as replacement brush heads, are included with your purchase!

*Bonus: The Clarisonic is great for exfoliating all over your body! Have back breakouts from the gym? This brush is a great way to treat those hard to reach places.

6.Let it breathe! –It is as simple as it sounds… let your skin have some time without makeup. When you get home from class, take off your makeup and let your skin breathe a bit. Even if you are off to the gym after dinner, taking off your makeup before the gym is going to be your best move!

*Myth broken: Working out with your makeup on doesn’t cause acne, as many believe, it simply irritates your acne further. Do yourself a favor and take it off before you sweat!

7.Eat healthy –This one is simple too. Drinking lots of water and eating healthy (good carbs, healthy sugars, and lots of veggies!) does your skin a great deal of good. Avoiding greasy and fried food on a daily basis will only help to improve the condition of your skin…don’t worry, you can still splurge every once in a while!

8.Don’t pick! –I know, I know, this by far is the hardest piece of advice. Picking at those problem spots always makes us feel as if we are making progress. What really happens however, is the dirt and bacteria from our fingers and under our nails, gets put directly into the skin pores. Not to mention, when we try to “pop” those problem areas, we are really pushing the bacteria in deeper, making it worse, not better.

Try treating your breakouts with some benzoyl peroxide spot treatment at night before you go to bed. If you find your blemishes aren’t clearing up, consider consulting your local Dermatologist.

*Note: We often pick at our skin subconsciously, when we are studying or on the computer. Try placing post it notes that say, “Do not pick!” on you laptop and mirrors. It might sound crazy, but it really helps to have the visual reminder when attempting to break this habit!

I hope these 8 tips and tricks help to eliminate some of the rumors and confusion about skin care. Remember, when it comes to your skin, less is always more. Cleanse when you have to, but don’t over due it. In no time, you will have skin that shines…the right way. 

Erin is an (almost) graduate of Tulane University, graduating with an BA in English. She has enjoyed being a member of Her Campus Tulane and leading the chapter this year alongside Brittany Kottler. After graduation, she hopes to move out to the Bay Area to fulfill her dreams of joining the tech industry.