Express Yourself: Advice from NOLA Fashion Week 2011

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

This year New Orleans hosted it’s first annual Fashion Week where it displayed the Fall/Winter 2011 clothing, shoes and accessories collections of up and coming designers including Leah Milana, Niré, NOLA Couture, and Sophomore. 

I had the opportunity to speak with the designers of Leah Milana and Niré to reveal their inspirations and best advice for aspiring designers as well as young women simply interested in the latest trends.

As a native of New Orleans, Leah Milana Bauer was excited to show off her newest “urban contemporary” self-named label in her hometown. Though her clothing inspirations come from her travels around the world, local flea markets are her favorite places to locate ideas. When asked about the trends for spring and summer, Bauer commented that she likes the flirty look, which can easily be achieved through ruffles, silk, or chiffon. As for the winter, Bauer, a lover of colors, believes that black and gray can be mundane so adding one of her favorite colors, like fuchsia, to an outfit can spice things up.

Another New Orleans native, designer Erin Tufts, along with stylist Cassie Conrad, has created the upcoming label, Niré. When asked about the newest trends, both agreed that they don’t focus on trends, but only what they like at the time. Both remarked that angel wings and feathers are often prevalent in their clothing. “Whatever our mood is determines what we like. If we’re in a bad mood, the designs will be darker and vice versa”. For the spring and summer, Tufts and Conrad advocate loose clothing in salmon or neutral tones.  However, the best advice they give to young women is to dress for a woman, not for a man. “Do that,” they say, “and you’ll be confident”.

For those of you who are aspiring designers, Bauer, Conrad and Tufts agree that patience, optimism, and a love of fashion are essential. “Makes sure it is the only thing you want to do,” they advise, “as it is a tough industry to get into”.  

Don’t forget to follow Leah Milana and Niré on Facebook and Twitter in order to receive updates on upcoming events!

*Photo by KZBPHOTO*

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.