Do’s and Don’ts of Black Friday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

While the majority of students waste class time dreaming of pumpkin pie and football games, I personally have early morning sales and the mall on my mind. Yes, I love Thanksgiving and all the delectable food associated with it–it would be hard not to. But honestly the main source of my excitement over the impending break is Black Friday. The great crowds of people, the piles of discounted clothes, the excitement in the air; it rivals Christmas as my favorite day of the year. However, without the right tips you may come home with either empty shopping bags or, alternatively, an empty wallet. Read the lists of do’s and don’ts and prepare to conquer the malls next week.

DO: Start shopping early. At 5 am stores will be well organized, fully stocked, and buzzing with activity; by noon, they will all look like warzones and the selection will be severely limited. The overused line  “the early bird gets the worm” is extremely applicable here. If you want the good deals you have to make a few sacrifices, and sleep is one of them. So set an alarm (or five if you have to), buy yourself a large coffee, and hit the mall.

DO: Plan your shopping trip. My mom and I have been Black Friday shopping so many times that we now have the day down to a science. Prioritizing stores and possessing a plan of action significantly lowers the stress that can sometimes accompany the day, and will also ensure you have a more successful trip.

DON’T: Fight other customers. I know, I know, that Urban Outfitters sweater is, like, really cute and really cheap. But it’s not worth getting into a fistfight over. Black Friday can bring out the worst in some shoppers; I’ve seen innocent looking ladies grab shirts out of other’s hands and men push young girls to try to beat them to a sale. It can be tempting to succumb to the madness, but remain calm and you will be able to leave with both killer deals and your dignity.

DO: Buy for others. Black Friday is an awesome opportunity to refresh your wardrobe and amp up your style. However, it is an equally awesome time to buy gifts for friends and family. Get a head start on holiday shopping, you’ll thank yourself later.

DON’T: Buy everything you see. Yes, all the clothes and items are ridiculously cheap. No, you do not have permission to buy everything in sight. Don’t purchase anything merely because of the number on the price tag. If you’ll never wear it or use it, you’re not saving money.

Happy shopping collegiettes! 

JoEllen is a senior at Tulane University where she is majoring in Philosophy and Psychology. She is particularly active with the Tulane chapter of Relay for Life and spent last summer studying abroad in Bali, Indonesia, where she hopes to move some day. JoEllen loves writing, eating delicious Cajun and Creole food, and exploring the city of New Orleans.