The Current: The Pressures of Being a Pregnant Celebrity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

One of my favorite times of year is awards season.  For those who do not constantly keep up with celebrity trends, I am referring to springtime when stars gather at a plethora of parties where they are awarded for their various talents.  It is at these live televised events that one can view all their favorite celebrities.  While watching the various events over the course of the past few months, I noticed a trend.  Not simply a fashion trend, but a change in life style for many young stars; there are many pregnant young women walking down the red carpet.

While watching the most recent event, the Metropolitan Museum Gala, I watched in awe how beautiful Kate Hudson and Jessica Alba looked in their dramatic dresses.  While I am sure these stars are experiencing much discomfort while pregnant, they still managed to get dressed up in high heels and pose for the paparazzi.  While these stars definitely displayed a pregnant glow, some of favorite expectant celebrities were missing.  The ever-beautiful January Jones was not at the event showing off her growing stomach, while the press continues to speculate the true father of Jones’ child.  Neither was Natalie Portman, who has been present in the media lately due to her role in the successful movie Black Swan as well as for controversy surrounding her body double in the film.  While being pregnant is stressful enough, it seems that these stars are under even more pressure in the public eye.

While there are many extremely talented and beautiful celebrities that are with child, reality show “stars” are becoming pregnant as well.  Angelina Pivarnick, an on-and-off member of MTV’s Jersey Shore, just recently made the announcement.  While one might argue how Pivarnick is even relevant, she has been in the spotlight due to disagreements with her declaration.  Some believe it is faux pregnancy, made up to further her career.  Well, her plan may be working, as it has become newsworthy enough to be included in my final article for the summer.  With this, I leave you growing baby bumps; let’s see how the cute these kiddies look in the fall!

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.