The Current: Lindsay Lohan Makes Comedy Out of Her Personal Tragedies on SNL

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Being caught up with current events is necessary when it comes to understanding the satirical humor of Saturday Night Live.  This past Saturday’s star host was the infamous Lindsay Lohan, who attempted to once again redeem herself as a serious actress.  Usually, celebrities host SNL to promote a recent television show, movie, or CD.  Lohan currently has nothing to promote other than a potential Lifetime movie about Elizabeth Taylor, her supposed sobriety, and almost completed probation.

This was Lohan’s fourth time hosting the show and there has been mixed reviews in regards to her acting abilities.  In the prerecorded clip “The Real Housewives of Disney,” (SNL Disney Housewives) Lohan was funny and flawless.  It was the live segments, however, that gave the actress trouble.  It was often apparent that she was reading from the cue cards, made more obvious by flubbing lines.  In my opinion, the cast of SNL truly shone as experienced comedians when made to act with Lohan.

While critics and social media users have seemingly bashed Lohan’s performance, the cast of SNL has given the actress their full support.  Some rumored “movie executives” have also stated that Lohan appears to be on the right track to success in the film industry.  While it is unclear if the actress will stay true to her claims of sobriety and responsibility in terms of her work, many are hoping for the best.  I am signing off with this short clip  from the Parent Trap, Lohan’s first film and my favorite childhood movie.

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.