Candace the Munchie Monster: Peppermint Patties

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Even if you’re not a sweets person, you’ve bound to like York Peppermint Patties. I especially love the Valentine’s day Peppermint Patties–they’re heart shaped, and have a light pink mint filling (which I personally find the best part). When I came across this recipe of do-it-yourself peppermint patties that are not only gluten and sugar free but also vegan and high in protein, I knew that it was meant to be. It’s a fun, healthy way to save money on candy and still have it in bulk.

York Peppermint Patties:  [gluten/sugar free, high protein, vegan*]
(makes a ~5″x~10″ rectangle of “dough” for cutting, use any cookie cutter you like)
Chocolate Coating:

4oz Sugar Free Dark Chocolate*
  (I used 70% cacao)
  2 tsp Coconut Oil
Peppermint Filling:
  52g (1/2 cup) Soy Protein Powder**
  48g (1/4 cup) Powdered Erythritol
  1/16 tsp Salt
  42g (3 tbs) Coconut Oil, soft
  6 tbs Water
  1 tsp Peppermint Extract
  1/2 tsp Stevia Extract

*Many stores (like Whole Foods) sell sugar-free vegan chocolate.  You can use non sugar-free dark chocolate if you like.
**Soy protein powder is more crumbly than regular protein powders and has a drying effect.  I’m sure any other unflavored protein powder would do the trick, just make sure to keep an eye on the taste and texture!  If not using soy protein powder and mixture is too wet, just add an even amount of protein powder and erythritol until the proper texture is reached (don’t be scared to taste-test!)

Directions: 
1.  Tape the edges of a  piece of parchment paper onto your counter (make it about 1.5 feet wide/long for rolling out the peppermint patties)
2.  Make the peppermint filling- mix all the ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and form it into a compact ball (if crumbs are coming off or if it isn’t sticking, add another tablespoon of water)
3.  Place on the parchment paper and flatten with a plastic rolling pin (I used a plastic pastry roller) and cut out 2″ circles with a cookie cutter or biscuit cutter.
4.  Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper and lay the cutout circles in the center about 2 inches away from each other
5.  Melt the chocolate and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl at 30-second intervals, stirring in between each one, until melted.  Spoon just enough chocolate over the circles so that it coats the top only.  When done coating the circles, freeze until chocolate is firm
6.  Flip the circles over and spoon chocolate over the circles so that it coats the top first, then coat the sides of the circles with a small spoon.  When done coating the circles, refrigerate until the chocolate is firm.

Keeps for three days in the fridge.
Found at: http://chockohlawtay.blogspot.com/2012/02/peppermint-patties.html

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.