Candace the Munchie Monster: Frosted Sugar Cookies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

I always expect packages of Lofthouse cookies to last me longer than for the 2 hours after I buy them. They’re deceptively delicious, with amazing frosting that I eat even though I don’t even like frosting a large majority of the time! They can solve any problem and can be eaten for any meal, breakfast, lunch, dinner, maybe even brunch. While they can be found in most drugstores, here’s a recipe to emulate the deliciousness of the perfect ratio of frosting to cakey cookie!

Mini Soft Frosted Sugar Cookies  

Prep Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Yield: 4 1/2 dozen mini cookies
Serving Size: 1 cookie

For the cookies:

• 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 5 teaspoons vanilla extract

For the frosting:

• 5 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
  • 1/3 cup (5 1/3 Tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 7 Tablespoons milk (plus more, as needed)
  • Food coloring, optional
  • Sprinkles (optional)

For the cookies:
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the dry ingredients just until incorporated and evenly mixed. Cover and chill the dough for 1 hour.
When ready to bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone liner. Scoop a tablespoon of dough (about 3/4-ounce) and roll into a ball. Repeat with remaining dough, spacing cookies 2 inches apart. Bake for 8 minutes, rotating halfway. It is important not to over bake. The edges should not even be brown. Let cool for at least 10 minutes on the baking sheet, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
To frost the cookies:
In a medium bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar, melted butter, vanilla and milk until smooth. You will want a thick consistency, but not too thick so that it is hard to spread on the cookie. Whisk in additional milk, one teaspoon at a time, to reach desired consistency. Tint with food coloring, if desired. Use an off-set spatula to spread each cooled cookie with the frosting. Top with sprinkles if desired. Store in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days.
Source: Adapted from Annie’s Eats, originally Hostess with the Mostess

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.