This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Upon dropping out of sorority recruitment in January, I was worried that not being in a sorority would impact my social life and friendships. Witnessing friends and peers on bid day made me feel as if I were missing out of being a part of something big and fun, and I felt alienated from the rest of my peers for not being in a sorority. Flash forward a few months later, and I am doing perfectly fine and ultimately grateful that I am not involved in Greek Life. Here are some of the benefits that I have obtained from not being in a sorority:

1. I do not feel inclined to hang out with a certain group of friends. Half of my friends are involved in Greek Life, and the other half are not. I feel as though I can be friends with whoever I want and do not feel limited to stick to one crowd. This semester, I have met so many amazing people, and I feel that, if I were to only hang out with girls from a sorority, I would not have met them otherwise.

2. Because I don’t have chapter meetings or events, I have lots of time on my hands. Of course, lots of it is used to both study and relax, but I also am taking it to explore my passions and try new things. As cheesy as it is, college is a time to discover who you are and I feel so lucky to be able to try so many things on my own time and figure out what things I may want to pursue in my future.

3. Even though I may not be in a sorority, I have friends who are in sororities and I can still enjoy certain aspects of being in one. For example, I go as my friend’s dates to parties sometimes and I get to meet lots of other girls who are in sororities. Just because you aren’t in a sorority it does not mean that you still can’t go to date parties and other  social events if you have friends in a sorority.

4. I have always been an independent person, and I feel that, by not being in a sorority, I am continuing to learn how to think for myself and do whats best for myself. It can be easy to get influenced by other people sometimes, but I am still able to stick to my beliefs and do whatever I please. Had I joined a sorority, I would have felt pressure to do so because it was what everyone else was doing, but, at the end of the day, I don’t think I would’ve enjoyed it. I have always been one to stand my ground and do and say as I please, and I wouldn’t want to change that for the sake of being in a sorority.

While I may not see myself in a sorority, I do have friends who are involved with Greek Life and enjoy it. Some people may like being involved in a sorority, and others may not feel that it is best for them. At the end of the day, you should do what you know is best for yourself and whatever will make you happy.

I am a freshman at Tulane who loves writing about pop culture, lifestyle, and social justice.
Her Campus Tulane